From B8 to B6T - My New Build!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From B8 to B6T - My New Build!

After my B8 started making some concerning noises, and finding metal in cylinder 1, I decided it was finally time to pursue my dream of a boosted Festy. I'm going to attempt to complete the swap quickly, because I'm currently using my wife's car and I need my car back on the road ASAP. I've been saving up for this for a while and was planning it for later this year, but my blown motor forced my hand.

I have been keeping an eye on craigslist for an inexpensive Xr2, with no luck. Then last week I found a listing on Facebook marketplace for an Xr2 with a blown head-gasket. This last Saturday I went and checked it out, and brought it home. The head gasket definitely blown. The car was blowing white smoke everywhere. It ran well (a bit low on power) and built boost, though. So far I have started taking everything apart. I got the head off last night and was able to get the engine harness completely out of the car. I plan on checking the mating surfaces tonight and if everything looks alright, I will put a new gasket in and throw it back together. If not, then I'll need to pick up another engine from car-part.com. I will also need a dip stick assembly, valve cover and a timing belt cover as well, which I'll get on a junkyard run if my current engine is good.

This is my first experience working on a turbo engine, and its definitely more involved. The turbo seems in good shape, and I can't feel much, if any, shaft play. I'm pleased with my purchase, and am excited to see this project progress.

Here's the donor car:

Last edited by TWFodor; 03-07-2017, 10:51 AM.
    1990 L Plus Stock B3 automatic -scrapped- My First Festiva - RIP
    1991 GL - B6d, g-series trans, aspire brakes, Advanced Suspension coilovers, Miata 7 spoke rims, '98 Prelude seats, more to come!
    2005 Focus ZX4 SES - purchased from original owner, my grandmother. Currently my wife's daily. 210k

You can follow me on instagram @twfodor

That hard top is worth the whole car, good purchase!

One question: why a new VC?
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

That top should sell quick help recoup some of your money.

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
        That hard top is worth the whole car, good purchase!

One question: why a new VC?
        Unfortunately the hard top is scratched up, leaks (from what I was told) and has missing trim pieces. Still worth some money but the pictures make it look better than it is.

Apparently, the PO cracked the VC and welded it back together so it looks pretty nasty. It doesn't leak from what I can tell but for longevity's sake I'd like to get a solid one.
        Last edited by TWFodor; 03-07-2017, 11:20 AM.
        1991 GL - B6d, g-series trans, aspire brakes, Advanced Suspension coilovers, Miata 7 spoke rims, '98 Prelude seats, more to come!
        2005 Focus ZX4 SES - purchased from original owner, my grandmother. Currently my wife's daily. 210k

Comment

Congratulations! Sometimes the intake manifold gasket is the cause for burning coolant on those engines. Keep that in mind as you inspect things.
          What size are those wheels on the Capri? They look pretty nice.
          Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
            Congratulations! Sometimes the intake manifold gasket is the cause for burning coolant on those engines. Keep that in mind as you inspect things.
            What size are those wheels on the Capri? They look pretty nice.
            Thanks for the heads up!

The wheels are 14". They say OZ Italy on the center caps but I cannot find any information on them whatsoever. I sent an email to OZ and am waiting on a reply. Hopefully they can help me. KBA 42551 is the number cast on the wheels. Unfortunately, the center caps require a specific tool to get them off and I haven't been able to locate it anywhere. I might be able to have my brother-in-law fab up something on his lathe, if the need arises.

Comment

Nice! I got luck and sold my xr2 after taking the motor and harness out to a guy in nashville for almost what i paid for the car itself. I have 150$ in my swap now. It was a once in a lifetime kinda deal. But mine had a great top with brand new soft top under it.
              1990 (LUCIFER 2.0) fully built BP+T with E153, Fueltech FT500, traction control with hopes of 600hp (i drank to much of the KOOL-AID)
              1990 OverKILL BP+T, evo ecu system, coilovers, aspire brakes, full advanced suspension, Garrett! The Autocross toy!
              1989 (BRITSTIVA 1.0) B6T and sold
              19?? 150$ burnout car SOLD
              1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

I got a lot done on the Festiva this last week! I had to get the head from the B6T resurfaced because it was so chewed up. Now it looks really nice. I removed the engine harness and the dash connector harness from the Capri and removed most of the connections to the engine. On Friday I went up to Rick's house to get a head gasket from him.

Most of the time I had on Saturday was spent removing the B8 and e series 4 speed. I opened it up and it was pretty chewed up inside. I'll post that information on the B8 build thread. I removed the A/C Condenser and some A/C lines and unfortunately the condenser was ruined in the process. One of the connections wouldn't come apart and the line crimped and broke off. Had to scrap it.

Sunday I spent a lot of time cleaning the engine bay and removing the front end. I also cut the 2.5 in hole in the firewall for the Capri wiring harness, and removed the A/C evaporator and A/C harness.

Next Saturday I hope to get the Capri engine back together and pulled. It is snowing today and is supposed to snow tomorrow so I probably won't get much done. May clean up the wiring harnesses a bit. I'm also hoping to get the engine bay painted sometime during the weekend. Still plenty to do, but I'm moving forward.
                Last edited by TWFodor; 03-13-2017, 09:54 AM.

Comment

I've made some additional progress over these last few days. I have removed everything from the block of the B6T and got the intercooler out of the car, which was more difficult than it originally looked. All that's left to remove is the mounts and one shift linkage point. It should be ready to pull out tomorrow night if everything goes as planned. It may have to wait until Saturday morning. I am replacing the valve stem seals (which is a huge pain, by the way). I've done 5 seals so far, 11 to go, which I am hoping to finish tonight if I don't rage quit first.

Comment

I found some pliers at harbor freight that fit around the seals pretty well to remove the old ones. The trick is gripping them snugly without crushing them, and then lightly twist and wiggle them until they loosen up and come off. The pliers are long orange handles pliers with a round shape on the end that's 90 degrees (iirc). I'd take a picture, but I seem to have lost them. Hopefully HF still has them. They come in a set of like 3 or 4 sizes.
                    Last edited by Advancedynamix; 03-16-2017, 04:41 PM.
                    Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Hose pliers... Like this: http://m.harborfreight.com/3-piece-l...not%20provided

If you go for these, do yourself a favor and inspect several sets as many have cast shift and the prongs are lopsided or malformed side to side.

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),

Comment

Oh getting the seals off isn't my issue. Its getting the keepers back in that is a real pain. I've got 9 seals done now. Its seeming to go quicker the more I do.

Comment

Been there, done that... I know your pain.

Comment

Grease and tiny flat blade screw driver. Sometimes a small pencil magnet.

Comment

Took me a while but I got them done last night. Seems like it just takes practice. Glad its over!

Comment

Working...
                              X