Festiva - Aspire Steering Rack Comparison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Festiva - Aspire Steering Rack Comparison

I've run up against a wall on replacing the steering rack unit on my 89 Festy and need a little dimensional info.

I've acquired a rebuilt rack unit from 'Detroit Axle' that includes the inner tie rods and boots/bellows.

Here's my problem:

The rack housing will right bolt in and looks just like the one that I took out. It is the unit with ribs cast into it.

The original unit is approximately 44 3/8" from end to end of the inner tie rods. The rebuilt unit is about exactly 1" longer at 45 3/8"

The length of the new outer tie rods from the undercut for the outer end of the bellows to the end of the tie rod is 7" which is 1/2" longer on each side than the Festy take-offs which results in the 1" longer new unit. Both the old and the new outer tie rods have 1 3/4" of threads.

This difference will not allow toe-in to be adjusted as with the outer tie-rod ends screwed in all the way the wheels still have too much toe-in.

Question is; Did they send me an Aspire unit instead of a Festy uint?

Figured maybe someone here may know the overall length of the Festy and the Aspire units or have have a hoard of racks with some to measure.

I'm pulling my hair out.

Thanks for any info in advance.

Steve

I would contact them and check on the part # they sent you. Is there any identifying number on your new rack? Is there one on the old rack (if you still have it to check)?

Also, bear in mind that 88 - 89 racks were different from 90 - 93 racks. IIRC the earlier ones are no longer available. Rock Auto does not show a listing for 88 - 89 inner tie rods.

Don't know why earlier or later racks would be a different length tho. Are the tie rods centered, i.e. the same length sticking out of the rack on both sides?

Edit: for all Festivas, they list only a manual rack, #2968. For Aspires, they list only a PS rack, #519.
    Last edited by TominMO; 03-02-2017, 09:02 PM.
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Rock auto list ac Delco. For the 88 I've ran these and they are correct, fine thread on tge rack side.
      If your rack is aluminum it's a later rack 88 89 where steel in the middle.
      Material Steel
      Color Black/yellow
      End 1 Gender Male
      End 2 Gender Male
      Finish Painted/Zinc Coated
      Castle Nut Included Yes
      Grease Fitting Included No
      Tie Rod End Thread Diameter 0.472 in
      Tie Rod End Thread Diameter 12.00 MM
      Type Inner
      Overall Length 10.370 IN
      Overall Length 263.398 MM
      Last edited by william; 03-02-2017, 09:00 PM.

Comment

My Festy is a 89 carbuerated car. Originally a 4-speed and we put a 5-speed in bout 12 years ago.

The rack that came out (I'm sure it's the original) is aluminum casting and is looks identical to the rebuilt. New one bolts right up to the firewall.

I'm speculating that the same manual rack is used for Aspire If there was such a thing as a manual steer Aspire ?) and longer outer tie-rods are used to suit a wider track ??

Anyone have the front track specs handy for an Aspire as compared to a Festiva?

I do have the invoice from Detroit Axle with the order # and will call them tomorrow. Bought it through Amazon. The Amazon ad stated that it was a manual rack for an 88-93 Festiva but the photo showed a power rack. Before I ordered the rack I called DA and inquired as to the discrepency between the photo and description and was insured that it was a manual unit, which it is.

I have the car back on stands and will pull the unit back out and do some more checking. I also still have the original rack.

Ongoing mystery !!

Comment

Aspires do have manual racks too, and their inner tie rods are specific to Aspires. IDK if they can be fitted to the 90 - 93 Festiva racks. I'm sure some people on here will fill in the details.
          90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

I'm running Aspire manual racks on 2 of my Festivas. I'm also running Aspire swaps on both cars so the tie rods ends are Aspire. Tie rod threads should be the same as on the 90+ model racks.
            Jerry
            Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
            90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
            92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
            93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

I'm digesting all the info offered to date and have done a little digging around the internet.

From what I've found so far, seems the front track on a Festy is 55.1 inches and an Aspire is 55.9. That's getting close to an inch which is the difference in the racks that I have.

Jerry, you state that you're running Aspire racks on two Festys but what are you referring to when you say 'I'm also running Aspire swaps on both cars'? Aspire spindles maybe?

I haven't gotten the rack back out yet to get the boots/bellows off, but I'm bettin' that the inner tie-rods are bout half an inch longer overall than the ones that came off the Festy.

They measure exactly that much longer from the outer boot seat diameter to the outer end of the rod.

Steve

Comment

Sounds like they gave you aspire inner rod ends. The aspire and cast aluminum festiva racks are interchangeable, they have the same steering ratio but the aspire has a longer throw. You'll need festiva inner rod ends though.

..........................Ratio (in/rev) ......Throw
                Festiva (manual) 1.310” .......... 4.34”

Aspire (manual) 1.310” .......... 4.83”
                Last edited by skeeters_keeper; 03-03-2017, 09:06 AM.
                ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
                91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
                1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
                2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

There's your answer. Simplest thing to do is buy/install good Moog tie rods, and sell the Aspire tie rods to someone else. A lot less hassle than shipping the rack back and hoping they get it right.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

I, too, bought a Detroit Axles rack and Shadetree installed it during a motor swap. It was originally listed as a Festiva PS rack, but when I unboxed it getting ready for the WV trip, I saw that it wasn't PS. When Rob installed it on my 92L, he mentioned that he thought it was actually an Aspire rack. He was able to use it, though, and it has been great. I bought another one to have on hand as it was a good deal at $122 shipped, and no core charge.
                    "Blue92"- 92L 5 spd, original owner- 185K, B8,DD..
                    "Pedro"-88L 5-spd, B6D (built by Advancedynamix)
                    "Blanca"-92 GL auto, 125K(FM8 Lowest Miles)- B6 daughter's DD
                    "Tractor Blue"- 89 L auto, 110K
                    "Chester"-88 LX, runs but not street legal
                    "Wenona"-89L parts car
                    "Flame"- 89 LX 5 spd ,parts car

Comment

Yes, I'm running the Aspire front knuckles and rear beam on both cars. You do need the Festiva inner tie rods when using the Aspire rack as stated.
                      Last edited by Team Lightning; 03-03-2017, 01:35 PM.
                      Jerry
                      Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
                      90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
                      92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
                      93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

Think I found the culprit.

Ordered a set of inner tie-rods at local parts store.

Here's a photo of what I have; passenger side of original rack on top, Detroit Axle rack on bottom, and ordered inner tie-rod in middle.

Steering Rack - Old & Detroit Axle #3.jpg

The Detroit Axle rebuilt unit ordered through Amazon is a bargain at $102 shipped, but have them pull it out and verify that the overall length is 44 1/2" before buying. The one I got from them is 4 1/2" OAL. Not enough adjustment to attain toe-in.

So it'll cost me $130 to do it which is still a bargain. I may list the inner T-R's here in case someone could use them.

Steve

Comment

Sorry, Ladies, didn't proof read. The DA unit measured 45 1/2" overall length. Too long for my Festy to get the toe-in set.

Comment

Yep, those are aspire inner tie rod ends.
                            The Festiva Store
                            Specializing in restoration, tuning and custom parts.

Comment

Gonna call Detroit Axle Monday and let them know what they're sending out.

Great quality at a great price, but just be sure that you know what you're ordering and what it works on or what you have to do to make it work.

These auto mysteries can be entertaining and frustrating at the same time.

I'm also working on a couple of vintage Datsun pickups and have had some interesting encounters with them over the past couple years.

Always a satisfying feeling to lick one of these puzzles.

Comment

Working...
                              X