Frito's Grand Journey--9,000 Mile Pre-Madness X Trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frito's Grand Journey--9,000 Mile Pre-Madness X Trip

I wanted to do a cross-country trip for a long time and I decided that before Madness X would be the perfect opportunity. In the month leading up to the event I drove over 9,000 miles, mostly slept in my Festiva, and visited friends, Festiva owners, and family along the way. You can read more about my FestiVan or Nestiva mods in Frito's build thread. Here was the plan for my route:

Things started looking pretty West-y around Oklahoma:

Cadillac Ranch:

I did most of my camping in "Dispersed Camping Site". It's a designation in most National Forests that allows you to camp for free, with no permit, in certain areas so long as you leave no trace--which is pretty easy in a big metal Tent.

Some Breaking Bad tourism in Albuquerque:

I had the single best driving day of my life in Arizona. I started North of Flagstaff, drove through the South Rim of the Grand Canyon, took 89A (a delicious curvy mountain road) through Sedona, Jasper, and ended the night in Prescott National Forest. Every time I thought I was done seeing beautiful scenery for awhile, I would have a lovely surprise waiting around the next bend.

I met up with Charlie and Brian in Tempe and had the best time talking Festy's and life with them. An amazing collection there is between the two of them:

I then drove through the desert to meet up with Chris (Tweak's new owner). Got to do a few pulls on the interstate---the legend is true!

An amazing thing happened on Highway 1. I coincidentally ran into another twenty-something Festiva owner who was living out of his car too! We chatted for a few minutes. His setup was slightly different than mine, opting for a wood false floor on the passenger side.

I headed up the coast to Monterrey and enjoyed some lovely beach views:

I then visited with Mitch, who bought Chris's car after falling in love with it when he drove it cross-country to Madness IX.

Met up with an Instagram follower in Portland who owns a sick Corolla and enjoyed Crater Lake:

Ben Rogers, Admin of the
    Facebook Group

'93 Festiva GL "Frito" (Travelled in 36 US States & 4 Canadian Provinces)

'91 Festiva L "Barry Bluejeans"
    '95 Dickmeyer Aspire SE "Dortmund" (SOLD to jbibb1)
    '91 Festiva L "Fermina" (SOLD to Hulspowered)
    '93 Festiva L "Tallsmallcar" (SOLD to Stretch and Skeeters_Keeper)

Watch "It's a Festiva", my short film!

It's better to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow.

Then I met up with Bob (bolokid) and Alex (Axlander9289) and we began the great convoy west to Madness (after meeting up with Hatch in Idaho and lilred in Wyoming)

We drove the Tail of the Dragon on the way to Raleigh. I was able to keep up with a pack Hyundai Gensises with weigh down stock suspension haha.

The night before Madness I made a collage of every Festiva I saw including the many junkyard stops I made.

Madness of course was amazing. It put my count for Festivas spotted in one month to well over 100. I was able to secure the Furthest Travelled award and have a great time with all of our amazing members!

After Madness, I conveyed with skeeters_keeper and Stretch back to Nate's place and got to visit with my first Festiva.

All in all it was an amazing, unforgettable trip with no mechanical issues! I have a similar trip planned for Westiva this summer. I should have a video out soon with all of my drone footage that I will share in this thread at all. If you have any questions or want more pics, let me know. This trip wouldn't be possible or near as enjoyable without this amazing community. Thanks to all of you.

(photo by the talented w4rkry)
    Last edited by ThisVelologist; 02-08-2017, 04:15 PM.
    Ben Rogers, Admin of the
    Facebook Group

Comment

Awesome!!! Looks like an amazing journey, can't wait to see the drone footage! Thanks a lot!!!!

Comment

Brilliant stuff. Thanks for posting.

Comment

Best Festy travelogue ever! Looking forward to meeting you on the 25th.
          90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
          09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
            Best Festy travelogue ever! Looking forward to meeting you on the 25th.
            Thanks Tom! I look forward to meeting you as well.
            Ben Rogers, Admin of the
            Facebook Group

Comment

Originally posted by ThisVelologist View Post
              Thanks Tom! I look forward to meeting you as well.
              Lexington to Raleigh was an easy half-day drive. If only you hadn't taken that wrong turn on I-64.....
              90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
              09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
                Lexington to Raleigh was an easy half-day drive. If only you hadn't taken that wrong turn on I-64.....
                Hahahahaha. Whoops.
                Ben Rogers, Admin of the
                Facebook Group

Comment

Wow this seems like a dream trip

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
                  Festiver
                  93 L find/5 speed
                  BP/g15mr swapped
                  Aspire brake swapped
                  Enough little mods I can spend a week trying to remember and still not get them all
                  stripped and sold due to rust

89 festie
                  rustful
                  maybe v8 maybe field buggy wont know till the time comes

93 festie
                  advanced suspension
                  kai/skeeter camber
                  b3t/g15mr

I will own a bpt cd-5 gtx clone one day

Comment

awesome!

Comment

Excellent!!
                      ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
                      91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
                      1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
                      2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

What a adventure!!!! Loved all pics. If I finish my project in time, I hope to see you at Westiva. This thread is making me want to get out there and drive away!
                        Questions,
                        1. Did you use a drone for a few of those pics (not counting FMX shot)? Example, lying on your back with Festiva's at your feet and Hillside.
                        2. The red wagon (Nissan or Toyota). Was that Jesse's car in Breaking Bad? If so, parked where? Edit: After a second look, it looks to be a screenshot from original production. I'm tired. Just worked 12hr day and shouldn't be posting.
                        3. Any traffic tickets on your trip? Did you have a radar detector?
                        4. Of all the state's you visited, which city/state would you choose to live if you were forced to relocate and enter the witness protection program?
                        Last edited by wwwdotgov; 02-08-2017, 11:20 PM.

Comment

So, Ben tells me he'll see me on his way to Westiva. Only Ben knows about that secret short cut through Phoenix to get to Alberta.
                          Keep up the good work Ben! These are the kind of memories we'll cherish for the rest of our lives.
                          Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Originally posted by wwwdotgov View Post
                            What a adventure!!!! Loved all pics. If I finish my project in time, I hope to see you at Westiva. This thread is making me want to get out there and drive away!
                            Questions,
                            1. Did you use a drone for a few of those pics (not counting FMX shot)? Example, lying on your back with Festiva's at your feet and Hillside.
                            2. The red wagon (Nissan or Toyota). Was that Jesse's car in Breaking Bad? If so, parked where? Edit: After a second look, it looks to be a screenshot from original production. I'm tired. Just worked 12hr day and shouldn't be posting.
                            3. Any traffic tickets on your trip? Did you have a radar detector?
                            4. Of all the state's you visited, which city/state would you choose to live if you were forced to relocate and enter the witness protection program?
                            1. I used the DJI Phantom 3 to get the drone shots. I'll have a video put together soon of all the footage.
                            3. No traffic tickets, the XCargo wind-brake kept me from speeding too much.
                            4. I'd probably pick Asheville, NC or Tempe, AZ or Kennewick, WA to be closest to the best Festy action.
                            Ben Rogers, Admin of the
                            Facebook Group

Comment

Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
                              So, Ben tells me he'll see me on his way to Westiva. Only Ben knows about that secret short cut through Phoenix to get to Alberta.
                              Keep up the good work Ben! These are the kind of memories we'll cherish for the rest of our lives.
                              Westiva trip will hopefully be just as epic. I plan to have a live thread going this trip to keep y'all better in the loop.
                              Ben Rogers, Admin of the
                              Facebook Group

Comment

Working...
                              X