Greywolf ONE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greywolf ONE

I finally have a hopeful in my stable that is right exactly in line with my personal "CAR PHILOSOPHY" -
    That you never ever go with just some clapped out hand me down, or whatever a dealer convinces you that you can afford.

Listen to your heart
    Never forget your dreams
    Stay the course...
    And gather your means

Today is a victory for me, we did better than I expected. David Hodges (STUDEBAKER) came out and together we went through what was here to be able to show the cars (and other stuff) to any of you that might be interested - this is a quick video inventory.

If you are interested in any of this hardware, the number to call is (901) 590-8226 and ask for mister Fletcher Talley

But yes, I got it. Now I am "OFFICIAL"

I AM a Festiva owner and Toy Maker.

Here we go!

Last edited by Greywolf; 03-19-2016, 03:14 PM.
    Most people don't drive what they want at all, and never will

Okay: "Baby Steps"

I had the battery out overnight and charged it (step one) and just now tried it in the car. It hits, very infrequently, and acts as if the ignition timing is too far advanced.
    Fuel gauge reads about 1/4 tank.
    Lights seem to work.
    Brakes feel good.
    Hand brake operates and is adjusted right.
    It took me about five solid minutes to figure out how to shut off the radio - which is probably what ran the battery down.
    Radio is some kind of Pioneer unit that is such a rough install it's on the "DO-OVER" list, but it is a nice one.
    I'd rather have my Cobra 29WX in there...
    *Anyone know where I can find a bullet mount for a Wilson 1000 whip?

It was cold and rainy all day, so not much has been accomplished.

I just shot a quick vid, but it will be a bit before it's uploaded to the tube...
    Last edited by Greywolf; 03-20-2016, 05:39 PM.

Comment

I don't know about anyone else, but I have never been able to see any of your photo's or videos.

Am I doing something wrong, or is anyone else having problems? Or have a cure?

Thanks,

Do

Comment

I dunno - I wonder if anyone else is having trouble with it? I see them just fine, they appear right where they are supposed to. - this one for example, that I shot so people could hear what I meant about the engine not firing off:

*It has occurred to me that I never heard the fuel pump turn on, and most of them you can definitely hear running when the key is switched on. I think that is going to be the very next thing I want to look into.

LINK to above video on my youtube page:
        Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
        Last edited by Greywolf; 03-20-2016, 06:51 PM.

Comment

Question, before I short out something I shouldn't:

Comment

Copied over from a troubleshooting thread (RE: Fuel Pump)

I was just looking in the Capri EVTM, and the wiring looks the same MOSTLY as what is shown for the '91 Festiva.
            I'm thinking to verify the FP relay, airflow sensor (the part of it that cuts off fuel pump voltage), and take readings at the tank to see if:
            1) Voltage gets there.
            2) There is a path to ground

After thinking it over, the only big difference is how the Inertial Switch is wired - either before or after the fuel pump.

The Capri version is that switched 12V in run or start goes through a 15A "ENGINE" fuse, then to the FP Relay. The Ground to energise the FP Relay is applied by the FP Switch in the "Volume Air Flow Meter" (MAFS, or AIR BOX!) and this is the part that the Fuel Pump test jumper shorts around. There is also a signal from the PCM, that goes off to the starter motor - so that must be for start up, and the same for Festiva.

From the output of the fuel pump relay, 12V goes to the Inertial Switch at the left rear of the car, and from there it arrives at the In Tank Pump.

NOW- the diagram shown in my Festy manual ('89 through '93, and the car is a '91) shows switched (IGN KEY) 12V going to the FP Relay. It has TWO relay windings, and one is supplied with 12V directly by the PCM (which has been swapped out in this car for a "Rocketchips" unit programmed for a B6T). The OTHER relay winding is grounded to an input to the PCM (original one) BY WAY OF the VAFM (MAFS) and also shows the test jumper and a ground to bypass it.
            *MAFS = Mass Air Flow Sensor, it's what I'm used to calling them

I guess the only difference here is that the output of the FP Relay is shown going directly to the Fuel Pump, and the GROUND from the Fuel Pump is sent on to pass through the Inertial switch - which is likely how it is still wired.

The funky part of all this is going to be figuring out how the two different sequences of handling the signal were cobbled together by Frederick before he passed on.

~ and obviously it's too late to ask him about it.

I really need to get the PCM mounted someplace in the car, it's just laying on the floor on the passenger side.

*Something that makes the project seem kind of daunting is that there's a lot of extra wiring spaghetti just stuffed back out of the way. I wonder if the original PCM is still in the car somewhere?

* I can't find anywhere in the Haynes (idiot) book where it shows the location of the PCM. I'll have to check the Ford manual.
            Last edited by Greywolf; 03-21-2016, 09:54 PM.

Comment

Have you tried starting fluid?If it starts on starting fluid then fuel is not your issue.I can't hear the pump run on my Festiva or any of the Aspires either.

Comment

I want to make sure that I look at everything. I was an "I" level electronics tech for 20 years in the MIL, so a lot of this is everyday troubleshooting technique for me. I also don't want to have to carry a can of starting fluid with me everywhere I go, that wouldn't be an acceptable fix.

I just found this finally too:

It was part of a dashboard removal walkthrough in the interiors section of the forums that was done by "SiliconSoul", I hope he doesn't mind that I borrowed it.

Now I know where the PCM is located, I can't figure what the replacement B6T one is doing on the floor on the other side of the car!!!
                Tomorrow I'm going to look up in there and see if the old one is still there.

*PCM is the square gray box to the left of the steering wheel
                Last edited by Greywolf; 03-21-2016, 10:37 PM.

Comment

No worries at all man, that's why its there!
                  - Form should follow function...

Comment

I found something a bit disturbing - but expected - under the drivers side dash.
                    There's nothing on earth these could be but the connectors for the original PCM

FRONT

BACK
                    Last edited by Greywolf; 03-23-2016, 05:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Greywolf View Post
                      I found something a bit disturbing - but expected - under the drivers side dash.
                      There's nothing on earth these could be but the connectors for the original PCM

FRONT

BACK
                      Nothing hooked to them?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

That plug in question is the pump jumper but it's for the festiva not the capri .
                        With the capri harness your festiva ecu and wiring is doing nothing.
                        To test the fuel pump pull the filter and push in on the afm flap. Or pull the single spade wire on the starter and turn the key to start position the fuel pump primes while cranking.
                        I didn't read all this thread but do you have spark? Fuel?

Comment

That means besides the old A/C bits, I have a lot of wire harness to remove too...

It has spark (see video - it stumbles but won't light) and the tank sender & gauge read about a quarter tank.

*Define "AFM Flap", It's a new one on me. For all I know it means "Alien Flying Machine"...

Seems to me the best move I can make in the near future is go get one of the other cars that isn't modified, that way I can lay this one open and still have a driver.

But with most of the swap done - I sure wasn't going to let this one escape!!!

AH! Wait a minute: "Air Flow Meter", as in "Mass Air Flow Sensor" (MAFS)

* We don't have vacuum dashpots anymore either - they are called: "Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensors"
                          Last edited by Greywolf; 03-23-2016, 06:12 PM.

Comment

Yeah air flow meter it's on the end of your intake tube has a big flat plug. Its not a mafs but pretty much the same thing.
                            Has this swap ever Ben running? If not check your fuel lines one from the filter goes to the rail.

Comment

'Was running all last year. I noticed today that the rubber part of the fuel line looked a bit stretched - a lot of things about this item seem just a tiny bit on the low buck side. The fuel rail doesn't have a Schrader valve on it, but I have an adapter for that in my pressure gauge set. I also took a second look at how the intercooler was hung in place, and I bet I can massage it just enough to slap a grill "Of Some Kind" in front of it. More 'bout that later.

Volume Air Flow, Mass Air Flow - it's the same. No EFI could work without it. The pump interlock in it is different, and could in fact be completely gone around. Most just have a variable resistor to give airflow info to the ECU in addition to throttle position, absolute pressure, ambient pressure, - and I think there is a fuel pressure sensor in some.

* Capri XR2 has a Pressure Regulator Solenoid output (from the PCU), but it only affects things in Hot Start conditions.

Comment

Working...
                              X