Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine reassembly questions

Hi everyone,

This weekend I bought a 91 Festy 4-Speed and I'm in need of advice to getting it up and running. The previous owner swapped the head and block. He said it has the 323 block and a 121 16v head. Currently it needs the head to be torqued down. I'm researching the torque specs but I'm a little lost.

Do I use the torque specs for the 323 block? I've found:

MAZDA - B6 16V
    Cylinder-head bolts

Stage 1
    20 - 30 Nm
    Stage 2
    40 - 60 Nm
    Stage 3
    76 - 81 Nm

The reason I'm confused is because this isn't the head from the 323. He said its from the 121. So the specs above will not be accurate, correct? (Then again, this could just be a B3 323 1.3L) Perhaps I'm being a bit dense, but I want this to be done correctly.

I cannot find a 121 in 16v variant, unless the B3 came in 16v, which isn't stated here:

How would I torque this correctly since the two parts are from different donor cars? Any advice will be appreciated!

Thanks guys. (I apologize for the scatterbrained post)
    1990 L Plus Stock B3 automatic -scrapped- My First Festiva - RIP
    1991 GL - B6d, g-series trans, aspire brakes, Advanced Suspension coilovers, Miata 7 spoke rims, '98 Prelude seats, more to come!
    2005 Focus ZX4 SES - purchased from original owner, my grandmother. Currently my wife's daily. 210k

You can follow me on instagram @twfodor

Get the casting numbers off the block and head.
    91GL BP/F3A with boost
    13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Are there specific series of numbers that would indicate the engine type? Or is every numbering different per engine?
      1991 GL - B6d, g-series trans, aspire brakes, Advanced Suspension coilovers, Miata 7 spoke rims, '98 Prelude seats, more to come!
      2005 Focus ZX4 SES - purchased from original owner, my grandmother. Currently my wife's daily. 210k

Comment

Originally posted by TWFodor View Post
        Are there specific series of numbers that would indicate the engine type? Or is every numbering different per engine?
        Nevermind this question. I found what I needed online.

Comment

Nevermind this question. I found what I needed online.
          So tell us what you found out. BTW is this the car that was on CL in East Alton, IL for $350?
          90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
          09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Stalker! hahah just kidding. Yeah it was. I went and got it on Saturday.

I found out that the casting number for the block will simply be B6 or B3, unless I'm mistaken?

Comment

Hmm... Well I spent some time picking through the engine bay of the Festiva and I found a "31R" on the cylinder head but I could not for the life of me find the casting number for the block. Where will this be located?

Comment

Hmm... Well I spent some time picking through the engine bay of the Festiva and I found a "31R" on the cylinder head but I could not for the life of me find the casting number for the block. Where will this be located?
                Two places:
                On the front of the motor on my B6, @ cylinder #3, the casting ID number is "S7". Probably no way you could see this if the exhaust mani is in place.
                The motor serial #, located on the back of the motor next to the coolant bypass, has "B6" stamped above the serial #.

31R is interesting. I guess that's the casting # identifying a 1.3 DOHC. Very cool.
                Last edited by TominMO; 09-15-2015, 11:46 AM.
                90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
                  Two places:
                  On the front of the motor on my B6, @ cylinder #3, the casting ID number is "S7". Probably no way you could see this if the exhaust mani is in place.
                  The motor serial #, located on the back of the motor next to the coolant bypass, has "B6" stamped above the serial #.

31R is interesting. I guess that's the casting # identifying a 1.3 DOHC. Very cool.
                  My cylinder head is a SOHC 16V. (I wish it was DOHC, though!) I'll look for the motor numbers when I get home from work. Thanks!

Comment

Isn't the Japanese make festiva gtx a b3 dohc?
                    88 Ford Festiva LX "Miogi" B8-ME swapped.

93 Ford Festiva L "Haywire" Rat infested trashcan WIP

Comment

I think you have a sohc 16v b3e head or head and block I was looking at that car as well. But didn't have room or time for it.
                      But the only 16v b3e I could find on line has a composite intake and that one is aluminum but that could just be an older version.
                      Last edited by william; 09-15-2015, 12:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by william View Post
                        I think you have a sohc 16v b3e head or head and block I was looking at that car as well. But didn't have room or time for it.
                        But the only 16v b3e I could find on line has a composite intake and that one is aluminum but that could just be an older version.
                        I assume the torque specs are the same as a regular B3, then?
                        If I'm ever going to need valve springs, lifters, etc, will the parts from a normal B3 work?

Comment

I have no idea ,on parts interchangeably. As far as specks how far apart are b3 and b6 ?
                          I've torqued both but don't remember the specks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by william View Post
                            I have no idea ,on parts interchangeably. As far as specks how far apart are b3 and b6 ?
                            I've torqued both but don't remember the specks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
                            B3 specs: 35-40 ft/lbs for Step one
                            56-60 ft/lbs for Step two

B6 specs: 20-30 nm for Step one
                            40-60 nm for Step two
                            76-81 nm for Step three

I would assume the torque specs for the B3e and B3 are the same, but I cant seem to find much info about the B3e.

Comment

That would be a b3-me, the regular 8 valve is the b3-e.
                              91GL BP/F3A with boost
                              13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Working...
                              X