Carb to EFI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb to EFI

I have most of the stuff I need hard ware wise can someone help me with a wiring diagram? Converting me carb 88 lx to a Fuel Inject
    88 Ford Festiva LX "Miogi" B8-ME swapped.

93 Ford Festiva L "Haywire" Rat infested trashcan WIP

Your best bet is to get the EVTM (electrical, vacuum troubleshooting manual) for the year of Festiva that your wiring harness is from. This book will have all the schematics that you need. You can find these dealer workshop manuals on eBay for a great price ( often times less than 20 bucks).
    Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

It would just be easier to change the entire wiring harness. That way you don't have to wire in the fuel pump relay, inertia switch, MAF sensor, extra wiring for the EFI ECU, etc.
      You will have enough trouble with adding a return fuel line, etc.

Wjy would you do all that when you can just switch to some performance carbs and toss the computer?

Comment

basically I have the wiring harness that I am dropping in but I want to keep as much of the stock wiring so that then I don't have to rip open my dash. I'm just trying to find out what I need to pull from the harness that I have that I don't need. Just something cheap to work for now until I get a b6/bp or something that would make this thing take off like a little rocket, also I have a bit of a grudge against carbs.

Comment

Originally posted by Meepersly View Post
          basically I have the wiring harness that I am dropping in but I want to keep as much of the stock wiring so that then I don't have to rip open my dash. I'm just trying to find out what I need to pull from the harness that I have that I don't need. Just something cheap to work for now until I get a b6/bp or something that would make this thing take off like a little rocket, also I have a bit of a grudge against carbs.
          It would take more time to modify the carb wiring to work with the F.I. system than it would take to just pull the dash and swap the entire harness.
          Also, you can use the fesiva F.I. harness to run a bp or whatever. There is a plug and play Megasquirt computer for the Festiva harness.
          Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

OK I have most the efi harness I pulled the turn signals and lights from it but the rest is still there I'll just drop it in and pull the carb harness or hopefully find another harness I can do a full swap out.

Is there a difference between the auto harness and manual? I can get a auto harness easy.
            Last edited by Meepersly; 08-11-2015, 11:14 AM.

Comment

I changed mine over awhile back not as hard of a job as it is made out to be. I went to jy and got complete harness out of a efi car from tail lights to head lights and it all unplugs I then came home took the interior out of mine and put it in. there are a few things that you need besides the wiring you need part of the steering colum were the wiring plugs in you can use yours but then your blinkers wont work unless you tie them in to head lights. also if you plan to daily drive it and enjoy it as it should be you should change the fuel tanks because if you do not then the in line pump is will drive you insane it's loud and if you do not change tanks you will have to find away to hook your gas gauge up. but if you do change all the wiring and tank and the part of steering then you will have a smooth ride. I went from the oem 1.3 to the mazda protégé sohc 1.8 and it made the festiva feel like a race car lol.

Comment

My plans were to leave the lighting of the old harness in and then put the efi harness in. Would that work or does it need to go through the vehicle computer? Also the only other harness besides the one I have that I can pull is in a festiva with an auto trans would that work as well?

Comment

You just put power to the efi harness. Leave the lights where they are.
                  1988 Ford Festiva "Sonic" BPT g25mr MS2 standalone ecu, FOTY '11, Best Beater FMV, Fan Favorite FMVI

1989 Ford Mustang GT 5.slow

1996 Ford F-150

Comment

The harness has lights and power wires and other chassis circuits all wrapped up with the engine management wires. You'll have a lot of time invested in unwrapping both harnesses just to keep the old lighting system. The early cars and late cars have totally different lighting systems, so you'll need the combination switch from the later F.I. car. The lights all plug in, but the switch is different. I would prefer to have the late style system since it's a better design with lighting relay and load reduction curcuitry. Your going to make things complicated by trying to save time, just do a complete wiring swap the first time. Trust me, I've been elbows deep in Festiva wiring for months on end.

Comment

Originally posted by Meepersly View Post
                      OK I have most the efi harness I pulled the turn signals and lights from it but the rest is still there I'll just drop it in and pull the carb harness or hopefully find another harness I can do a full swap out.

Is there a difference between the auto harness and manual? I can get a auto harness easy.
                      The auto has some different plugs for the reverse and neutral switches iirc. It probably wouldn't be a big ordeal to change out the plugs. You'll definitely want to get really friendly with your trusty EVTM.

Comment

nevermind the auto harness is fried once I got a closer look at it i could see someone was trying to hook up a radio into the fuse panel and fried the harness all the way to the engine I see why that car was in the yard in the first place.

Comment

Harness is in and other problems with engine have been fixed. Ran decent but lacked power. Removed carb EGR pipes and bent the ends on the downpipe and catalytic converter, then smashed out the innards of the catalytic converter it was very clogged. I have a new muffler being delivered considering the old one was rusted out and I removed it. Car is super loud but it now actually moved pretty decently. I heard something about the airbox and drilling holes in it to improve airflow. Eventually want to get it turbocharged. See how much power I can get out of my little b3. Going to get an efi downpipe and catalytic converter so the bent pipes that aren't sealed properly can be replaced by properly sealed exhaust bits.Getting a hatch with a rear wiper at the junkyard it even is the same color as my festiva.

Comment

That's great to hear! You've gotten a lot done!

Comment

Yes I want to do the suspension next, but kind of unshure exactly how I'm going to do it. I read the forums and the ones on diy coilovers also yours about suspension mods and it is really cool. Just putting everything together may be kind of difficult for me but who knows. Also everyone at the shop thinks I'm crazy with all the work I do to it. I just really like the car.

Comment

Working...
                              X