Bought another Festiva

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bought another Festiva

I tried the Aspire thing, but it didn't work out for me. The Aspire is better than a Festiva in many ways, but it lacks the interior room of the Festiva. At 6'2" 245, I didn't fit in the Aspire too well. Plus, I like the look of the Festiva better. I picked up a 93 a little over a week ago. I think I overpaid at $1,200, but they don't come up for sale as much anymore and when they do, they are typically in bad shape. This one has 177k miles and needs some attention, but overall is in good shape. The A/C works and it runs good. The check engine light was on and I checked the codes and replaced the ECT sensor and that took care of the light. You can see in the first pic, there is rust in the headlight. Both headlights looked like they had water in them, but I don't see any evidence of any other water damage. I replaced the headlights with a pair I got at the junkyard. It needs tires, but I'm not sure if I'm going to stay with the 12" wheels yet. It had an aftermarket resonator that had a gaping hole. I cut it off and installed some flex pipe. It's nice a quiet now. The shifter is sloppy and will need the bushings replaced. At some point someone painted the roof black and it's peeling off. A buddy is going to help me paint the roof and hood. They lost the window crank and used a pair of vice grips which chewed off the teeth and tore the panel a little. I replaced the regulator with one from the junkyard and made a plastic piece to cover the torn part to keep it from tearing more. My neighbor's going to tint the windows. It does have a weird brake issue. Once and a while when you press the brakes, there is nothing. Let up and press again and they are like normal. I'll have to figure that out, before I put it on the road. I would guess master cylinder, but I don't want to start throwing parts at it. Any ideas? I'm glad to be back in a Festiva. Insurance is $24 a year cheaper for the Festiva. I would have guessed the Aspire would have been cheaper since it has airbags.

I had to drive 3 hours to Talladega to pick it up. My neighbor was kind enough to let me use his trailer, but I got a blow out on the way home.
    Last edited by Eaglefreek; 06-16-2015, 02:17 PM.
    Rick
    1993 Ford Festiva
    1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear. SOLD
    1981 AMC Eagle Wagon-As Seen on TV Lost In Transmission
    2000 Ford E350

Looks like a steal at 1200.
    Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Wow, nice and straight!
      Yes on the master cylinder, the piston seals are old and firm,( two of our cars ) or has debris floating around inside catching in the one-way valve (a clients car). Wish we had one that straight,,,,
      No car too fast !

Comment

+1 for a master cylinder fault. My '89 had the same issue.
        Axlander9289, brother of ThisVelologist

Festivas past:
        Aqua '92 Festiva L - Sold "Dale"
        White '89 Festiva L Plus - RIP "Dudley"
        White '93 Festiva GL - Sold to thisvelologist "Frito"
        Red '91 Festiva L - Sold to Louieisawesome "Geraldo"

Current Fleet:
        Aqua '93 Festiva L with Aspire brakes "Dale Jr."
        Black and White '93 Festiva GL Sport (White alloys and spoiler are long gone) "Blues-tiva"
        White '15 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Cool, I ordered a master cylinder. My memory isn't the best and I just remembered that I had the same problem on my last Festiva and a MC solved the problem.
          Rick
          1993 Ford Festiva
          2000 Ford E350

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonhealer View Post
            Wow, nice and straight!
            Yes on the master cylinder, the piston seals are old and firm,( two of our cars ) or has debris floating around inside catching in the one-way valve (a clients car). Wish we had one that straight,,,,
            It's got a few little dents. These cars are so thin, I've yet to see one without any dings or dents.
            Rick
            1993 Ford Festiva
            2000 Ford E350

Comment

Originally posted by Eaglefreek View Post
              Insurance is $24 a year cheaper for the Festiva. I would have guessed the Aspire would have been cheaper since it has airbags.
              My educated guess is that you are paying most your premium to cover your liability if you are involved in an accident with another vehicle. So since the Aspire is a little heavier than the Festiva, statistics probably show that the historical insurance payout to the auto not at fault that is involved in an accident with an Aspire is great than one involved with a Festiva.

Comment

Congrats! Not a bad price to pay for a nice straight one. You already know what it's worth.
                I hate being Bi-Polar, it's awesome.

Comment

Nice find!
                  Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
                  Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
                  Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
                  Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
                  http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

I got a little bit done to it the last couple of days. Friday night, I Seafoamed the engine. Saturday, I changed the oil and installed new plugs, wires, cap and rotor and painted the wiper arms. Also, my neighbor tinted the windows. It's getting there. The master cylinder came in, but I need to find the time to install it.

To do list
                    Master cylinder
                    Right sway bar/control arm bushing is torn
                    Turn signals don't cancel on their own
                    Desperately need new tires, but really don't want to put 12" tires on it. I'm on the look out for some 13" or 14" wheels
                    Steering wheel is cockeyed and hoping a alignment takes care of it.
                    Paint roof, hood and bumpers
                    Better stereo system

Last edited by Eaglefreek; 06-21-2015, 05:46 PM.
                    Rick
                    1993 Ford Festiva
                    2000 Ford E350

Comment

I wasn't planning on doing a brake swap, but an Aspire came up in the junkyard and 4x100 wheels are much easier to find. I took off work Tuesday and pulled the parts. There was no rust and it came apart fairly easy and it was a very hot day and my sciatica was bothering me, but I persevered and got all the parts. I'm out of town for work until the 3rd and then have to get wheels and tires before I perform the swap.

Rick
                      1993 Ford Festiva
                      2000 Ford E350

Comment

You guys with good yards. I envy you.
                        Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
                        91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

If you use a Magic Eraser on the bumpers, I guarantee that you will be amazed.
                          Last edited by bravekozak; 06-26-2015, 11:33 PM.

Comment

Congrats! that Festy looking good now!! I hope to buy one more when a good deal come my way :icon_smile::icon_smile::icon_smile::icon_smile::i con_smile::icon_smile:
                            89 Festiva L Automatic, black ,Bought 6/29/15 ,Not Running!!
                            90 Festiva L Stick , Aqua ,Bought , DD
                            03 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Crew cab , White,

Comment

Originally posted by sketchman View Post
                              You guys with good yards. I envy you.
                              That one is 100 miles from where I live. I've got an LKQ about 30 miles away, but it's a bit expensive. My favorite is about 50 miles away. There are some yards where they just put the cars out randomly and the the ground is muddy and full of weeds. I don't bother going to those.
                              Originally posted by bravekozak View Post
                              If you use a Magic Eraser on the bumpers, I guarantee that you will be amazed.
                              Thanks, I'll give it a try.
                              Originally posted by J Daniel Santos View Post
                              Congrats! that Festy looking good now!! I hope to buy one more when a good deal come my way :icon_smile::icon_smile::icon_smile::icon_smile::i con_smile::icon_smile:
                              Thanks. Good luck with your search. I don't know where in California you are, but I'm working in Canoga Park for the week. I saw a nice silver Festiva here just a few minutes ago.
                              Last edited by Eaglefreek; 06-28-2015, 09:08 PM.
                              Rick
                              1993 Ford Festiva
                              2000 Ford E350

Comment

Working...
                              X