Horn relay location?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horn relay location?

Apologies for asking this again - I asked not all that long ago but can't find the thread. (It may have been part of a different topic.)

Anyway, on a fuel-injected Festiva I gather the dang relay is up in the dash behind the instrument cluster. Is that right so far? Do I need to pull the cluster to access it? What does it look like/how do I recognize it?

Thanx!

Do not pull the cluster. It is way up high in the tree to the left of the cluster.
    There are two trees with three branches each. There are 5 relays including the flasher and buzzer. It is the small black one.
    Last edited by bravekozak; 09-28-2014, 03:40 PM.

Comment

Thanx bk! But would pulling the cluster be any help? (I can do that blindfolded.)

Comment

No. You cannot reach around it.
        You need a long arm and reach straight up from the bottom.
        Trust me, it's faster.
        I know. I have two horn relays.
        Last edited by bravekozak; 09-28-2014, 08:14 PM.

Comment

seems to me my 1990 lx had 2 horns on it when bought it new one high pitched one lower pitched that's why one horn button emblem points up and the other down, or maybe I'm just imagining things could be my meds ot the fact that it was 24 years ago and I have slept a time or 2 since then. :-)
          90 L plus 180,000 miles and counting.

Comment

you think ford would design and install a driver selectable horn pitch feature on a festiva? really?!

Comment

Found it! Seems that on '90s, it's white and says:
              GE 70
              DC12V20A
              N.O.
              IMASEN
              8J-26

On carbureted '88s it's black and starts H 300 with the same connector. In any event, either of two horns work when hooked to a battery, but otherwise, with either relay, neither works when hooked to the car. I've spliced out the wire from the horn up into the engine bay, too, to no avail. I guess the next thing is running a new wire from the relay to the horn, unless someone can give me a clue which wires at the relay to check for voltage. Green with red trace seems to be relay to horn, otherwise I think there are two green with white trace and one solid green.

Comment

The two green/white wires go to the STOP fuse and are HOT AT ALL TIMES.
                When you ground the horn button, through the green wire, the solenoid energizes and causes the relay to close, sending power to the horn(s) on the green/red wire. Good luck.

Comment

Thanks! I greatly appreciate the info. In 25yrs of continuously having a Festiva as a daily driver, I've never had trouble with a horn.

The solenoid doesn't click, tho, so perhaps the problem is with continuity in the green wire? I did check to make sure the lead hadn't disconnected up at the steering wheel. And why are two hot leads necessary?

But I'm REALLY glad you said something about the STOP fuse. Just before hitting Post, I thought I ought to go check my brake lamps. ZIP! Crimony! I've been driving around with no brake lights for a month without anyone saying anything or being stopped. Yikes!!

HUGE thanks again!!!!

Comment

And by light of day, sure enough, the stop lamp fuse is blown. So here's another ? - what else runs off the STOP fuse? My first thought goes to the dome light as a possible culprit, and I remember that that wire had been spliced, too, when I dug into getting it working a couple yrs ago (but since grew tired of fiddling with the bulb) but there's another fuse marked ROOM - is that for interior cabin stuff like the dome light?

Comment

Working...
                    X