No announcement yet.

How do you stiffen up manual shifting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you stiffen up manual shifting?

I figure there's quite a few bushings worn out on mine after
    166k miles, but are these parts even accessible anymore? I
    had trouble finding the front emblem, so I'm hoping these won't
    be a nightmare.

Can anyone possibly tell me what bushings, springs or rubber
    mounts will stiffen up the shifter and reduce the play (even while
    in gear) to give me more crisp shifts?

Also, I suck at using the search on here, apparently. It seems like
    it brings up 100 unrelated topics. I even tried "shift" "bushing" to
    see if it'd be more accurate, but no luck.
    Last edited by SWRT; 08-31-2014, 07:19 PM.
    1993 Festiva - White/Black - 5 speed

I ordered mine on eBay. Also made bushings out of hose for the shifter. Made a huge difference.

Comment

As for your searching, I tried "shifter bushings" .... and got all kinds of results.

Heres a couple

http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ifter+bushings

Last edited by drddan; 08-31-2014, 07:32 PM.
      Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
      Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
      Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
      Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
      http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

They are available from any Kia dealer. About $2.75 apiece, but you may have to buy a whole bag of 10 if it's a special order, i.e. they don't keep them in stock. No biggie, they will come in handy. It normally takes four, two up by the tranny and two at the shifter. I just put two on my 323 (where the shifter itself connects to the bar); it was super-sloppy and now it shifts like new. (The two front bushings seemed to be in good shape, visually, so I left 'em alone.) Same part # as for the Festy and Aspire. I'll go out to the garage tmw and get the part # off the bag, or someone else can chime in.

It's maybe a 5-minute job under the car to do the two rear ones, which seems to make the biggest difference, IMO. After you get 'em on the shifter, squeeze them with a pair of pliers to make sure they will fit into the bar that connects it to the tranny. I found that just squeezing them in with my fingers was not sufficient. Use Loc-tite on the nut.

Notes:
        a. The remnants of the old bushings will still be inside the shifter; just push them out with a flat-blade screwdriver.
        b. It's helpful to have a friend hold the shifter steady while you work under the car, but you can do it without any help.
        Last edited by TominMO; 08-31-2014, 09:28 PM.
        90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
        09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Ah, I see. You don't need the quotation marks then.

Wow, thanks for all the help guys I've never had a crisp shifter
          before and this is my third manual car.

And thanks, Tom. That would be awesome!

Comment

I prefer using a nyloc nut to make sure it stays in place.

Comment

SWRT, here's another writeup for you to read. I'm planning on doing this to mine very soon.

Jerry
              Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
              90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
              92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
              93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

Least sloppiness.
                Last edited by bravekozak; 09-01-2014, 06:45 AM.

Comment

Mazda dealer.
                  Part #' : 4 B001-46-62 bushings
                  2 B001-46-133 bolt
                  1 B09246047 pipe
                  1 GJ2146041 bushing

Search for skimsuckas post "Shifter sloppiness solved!! no Austrailia nonsense"
                  Last edited by navdoc101; 09-01-2014, 07:23 AM.
                  If it don't fit, use a bigger hammer!

'93 Green L - ' Tiva

Comment

Originally posted by bravekozak View Post
                    I prefer using a nyloc nut to make sure it stays in place.
                    Right; in fact I use both a Nylock nut and threadlocker. Anal I know.
                    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

@ SWRT: the part # for the Kia bushings is KKY01-46062. Package of 10.

The nylock nut for the two stock shoulder bolts is M8x1.25. You can get a small package of them in stainless at the big-box hardware store nearest you. The head on mine is 1/2", but you can use 13mm, since 1/2" is 12.7mm.

There are many ways to do this job. On Matthew, Greg ground off one side of the non-servicable joint to get it out, installed the nylon bushings, then welded it back up again. World-class shifting. I am partial to Advancedynamix' solution for the non-servicable joint only, and the usual route for the two bushinged joints with bolts. I like nylock nuts with blue loc-tite.

I tried using a small zip-tie in the nonservicable joint on the Aspire, to take up the side movement. I found it makes shifting up into third gear a little notchy sometimes, perhaps because it is now not centered. I might try two thin paper clips instead. Just experimenting.
                      Last edited by TominMO; 09-01-2014, 10:32 AM.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

I keep plenty in stock, make it down here sometime, and I'll redo all six for free!
                        -Greg
                        Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
                        BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
                        Redneck Engineer
                        FOTY - '09
                        5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

Ah, thanks man. I PM'd you

Comment

Originally posted by Team Lightning View Post
                            SWRT, here's another writeup for you to read. I'm planning on doing this to mine very soon.

Team L, I did this mod not long after Charlie put it on the site, it shifts like a champ, I have done this mod to all of my cars. I thought I would keep the bushings just in case, but there is no need, so I will put them in the for sale section probably $1.50 each.
                            An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.

Comment

Working...
                            X