Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you tell what degree you are at as far as timing goes...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you tell what degree you are at as far as timing goes...

..I see guys post that they are running at 11 degrees or 14. How do you know that? When I set my timing I just try to get the marks lined up, how do you see what degree your at while setting timing? I'm new to this timing stuff. Thanks, Jim

Its called "Base Timing",you need a timing light and you ground one wire.Its explained in a manual,if you really want learn.I would suggest you pick one up and study.There are pictures in the book its really easy to learn.
    Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
    Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
    Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Originally posted by nitrofarm View Post
      Its called "Base Timing",you need a timing light and you ground one wire.Its explained in a manual,if you really want learn.I would suggest you pick one up and study.There are pictures in the book its really easy to learn.
      I do have a timing light and I did do what you say and I do have the manual. I do like green eggs and ham... I followed the manual on how to set the timing but all it shows is where you line things up not what degree timing your at except at 10 when your lined up.

Comment

Originally posted by jimdigs View Post
        I do have a timing light and I did do what you say and I do have the manual. I do like green eggs and ham... I followed the manual on how to set the timing but all it shows is where you line things up not what degree timing your at except at 10 when your lined up.
        You are right; it's kind of a judgement call on viewing what timing you are at. You can look at the distance between 0 and 10 BTDC, and use that as a guide for going over 10. I paint a white line on the pulley from 0 to 10, to make it easier to reference.
        90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
        09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
          You are right; it's kind of a judgement call on viewing what timing you are at. You can look at the distance between 0 and 10 BTDC, and use that as a guide for going over 10. I paint a white line on the pulley from 0 to 10, to make it easier to reference.
          So the same white notch you line up with the white pointer while viewing with the timing light, you also can view that same white notch with the timing light if you point the light at the scale thingy and that will show you where you are degree wise? Confused.

Comment

There are timing lights that have a LCD indicator that you can set the advance or retard and it shows you at how many degrees you are BTDC or ATDC. These are the best for Carb cars!!!

Comment

[QUOTE=Fordverde;651908]There are timing lights that have a LCD indicator that you can set the advance or retard and it shows you at how many degrees you are BTDC or ATDC. These are the best for Carb cars!!!
              [/QUO

In my timing light instructions it has me set the dial to "0" and set timing. so should I put it on 10 on the dial of the timing light and then line up the notch and pointer? Or did I do it right by keeping it at zero and lining up the notch and pointer making it 10?
              When does the scale thingy ever come into play?
              Thanks, Jim

Comment

Place all the marks according to the workshop manual, then set the light to 0, flash it and see if indeed the marks still as where they supposed to be. now set the dial at 10 and check where the mark is now and mark it, that will be your exact 10 degrees; place the light back to 0 and move your dist to align the mark in the pulley to the mark you did of the 10 degrees.
                It happens some times that due to wear or simply because somebody during the life of the car put a different cover from another engine that the marks are off. This way you will know that you have your 10 degrees setup right.
                For example, my festy has the lower belt cover from an EFI B5 engine and mine is a carb B3 from a Pride, some past owner did it and i haven't been able to get the correct one, the marks never ever are what they tell you. I set the time without the cover placed using the the actual marks in the sprockets as mine is a carb, the basic time is 0, and as my vacuum advance is toast, the best set is 12; no way to set it right without the light.

Comment

So when you set the timing according to the service manual and all things line up (white notch lines up with white pointer while using light) that is not setting the timing at 10 degrees?

Comment

if you have the correct bottom belt cover and it is not beaten up or deformed then yes...

Comment

thanks for following through with probably what seem like basic questions that I should know but don't. It is appreciated fordverde. One last question, do you happen to know where or how I could get a cheap tach to check my idol? I thought autozone or somewhere like that would have one to rent out but couldn't find them for use on their web sites.

Comment

If you have time to order one, check ebay for one. You can find a cheap one for about 20.00.
                        Jerry
                        Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
                        90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
                        92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
                        93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

+1 with Lightning, for me Ebay RULES!!! hehehe, but do considered buying a good timing light, some also have a tach build in... i have this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/OTC-3367-Dig..._Tools&vxp=mtr

been hit and dropped a few times and still holding strong!!!

Comment

Thanks guys, and I meant idle not idol duh.

Comment

So I got a multimeter with a rpm kit and set my rpm and then rechecked my timing all is well. My rpms were pretty low with the STI thingy grounded, around 500 so I had to adjust that to 700 like the manual states. Timing stayed good.

Comment

Working...
                              X