Hole in metal coolant line now....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hole in metal coolant line now....

I posted this in my existing post but I wanted to make sure folks see it so I can possibly get some help with this. I was wanting to burp the coolant system and I started to pour in the antifreeze when I hear a steady stream hitting the ground. In the picture is where the hole is, right on the bottom of the smaller tube right before it goes into the flared end.

I was thinking I could possible cut the section before the hole and the section after the flared part and get a piece of tubing of some sort and clamping it on both ends. Would this possibly work? What type of tube should I buy to try this? Thanks for any help. Jim
    Last edited by jimdigs; 11-30-2013, 09:39 PM.

If it is a hole, that is awful close to the connection. I just saw one yesterday that somebody repaired with a piece of coolant hose, the same kind you would run for heater hose, and a couple of clamps. He said it has held for him for months now.

Years ago, in the same situation, I was too worried about heat from the exhaust manifold to try the same fix, and bought one from a JY.
    Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
    Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
    "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

probably just the o-ring. You can get the entire tube (both ends) at a local junk yard for just a few bucks. my yards would probably be $5.
      -Bryant

Comment

The thing is so rusted though I don't know if I could get the tube out without everything busting apart. Thanks for the replies though guys.

Comment

Eurotiva said he has one, I can put hands on one or 7 if need be as well.
          Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
          Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
          "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

DOH!! I didn't see this post before I replied to the other. Anyways, here's a "copy and paste" from the other post.

Originally Posted by jimdigs
            How do I get to the O ring in this? Does the tube unscrew from the other flared tube? Thanks for the advice. Jim

The tubes do not unscrew from each other. They are a press fit with an "O" ring to seal them together. Some wigglying and twisting will more than likely be required for separation.

I would say probably the easiest way would be to unbolt the lower radiator hose tube from the water pump to separate the 2 sections of tubing.

Judging from the pic you posted the tube seems rather crusty. If the inside of the tube is as bad you may have a difficult time trying to get it to seal.

I would try the "O" ring first and if that doesn't work, eurotiva has a replacement tube.

Or you could cut the flange off the tube and slip a piece of heater hose over the remains. I did that on my '89 a couple/few years back and it's held ever since.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by lessersivad View Post
              DOH!! I didn't see this post before I replied to the other. Anyways, here's a "copy and paste" from the other post.

Originally Posted by jimdigs
              How do I get to the O ring in this? Does the tube unscrew from the other flared tube? Thanks for the advice. Jim

The tubes do not unscrew from each other. They are a press fit with an "O" ring to seal them together. Some wigglying and twisting will more than likely be required for separation.

I would say probably the easiest way would be to unbolt the lower radiator hose tube from the water pump to separate the 2 sections of tubing.

Judging from the pic you posted the tube seems rather crusty. If the inside of the tube is as bad you may have a difficult time trying to get it to seal.

I would try the "O" ring first and if that doesn't work, eurotiva has a replacement tube.

Or you could cut the flange off the tube and slip a piece of heater hose over the remains. I did that on my '89 a couple/few years back and it's held ever since.

Hope this helps.
              Thanks for the reply. It is appreciated. Do you happen to know where I would get the "O" ring I need for this? Thanks again I thought it was a hole but the "O" ring thing makes a lot more sense. While I was moving the tube around trying to get the bolt off I musta messed up the seal.

Comment

These Festy steel B3 parts were succeeded by aluminum (the pump outlet, not the actual plug-in tubing) in Aspires and numerous Mazda engines. If your car is destined for a long-term fix start looking around for substitutions/adaptations. Up this way (the salt belt) this convoluted piece of pipe is very rust prone and subject to failure in many more places than what has happened to your's. I've used up all of my spares and so far haven't needed a new one. Rios and Mazdas have similar pipe arrangements but that will need some modification in order to use.
                Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by jimdigs View Post
                  Thanks for the reply. It is appreciated. Do you happen to know where I would get the "O" ring I need for this? Thanks again I thought it was a hole but the "O" ring thing makes a lot more sense. While I was moving the tube around trying to get the bolt off I musta messed up the seal.
                  It's listed under one of three water pump gaskets at my local parts store
                  -Greg
                  Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
                  BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
                  Redneck Engineer
                  FOTY - '09
                  5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

Quick fix...

So I was sitting around last thinking what I could do for a quick fix and I remembered the sealant that I bought this summer for the leak around the top of my radiator around the plastic black tabs. It worked like a charm on the radiator. It is the sealant that is listed in the repair manual I found it on ebay. I put a picture the sealant here.

Anywho, last night at midnight, I'm out there gooping this stuff around the flange so it could dry overnight. Its holding so far. The coolant was just streaming out yesterday too. I drove around for about 10 miles without a problem PLUS the heat is way warmer than it was before the thermostat change.

Just a quick fix but it may be a permanent one if it continues to hold. We shall see. Thanks everyone for all the replies and help. It is appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                    X