Rear Spindle Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Spindle Thread

I was changing the shoes on my 91 Festy, and I was surprised to find that both spindle lock nuts spun in the same direction, since the manual and many posts here have explicitly mentioned that one side is reverse. I thought I was losing my mind, so I took the old spindle nut from the passenger side and it spun right one to the driver side in the same direction. Should I be worried?

Not at all, mine is the same way. Maybe someone swapped the spindles so it uses 2 right-handed threads?
    1990 Festiva L "puddles". 187,000 mi. All stock, B8 coming this fall to a festiva near you

Do not write below this line; for office use only

Comment

Cool. Just wanted to make sure that was safe, since I figured there was a reason the OE spindles were one of each. Thanks!

Comment

The nuts are right and left hand for a reason. The forward spinning of the wheels are in the direction of tightening the nuts, just in case, they dont spin off if something happens.
        Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
        Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
        Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
        Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
        http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

Originally posted by drddan View Post
          The nuts are right and left hand for a reason. The forward spinning of the wheels are in the direction of tightening the nuts, just in case, they dont spin off if something happens.
          Once upon a time, Chrysler products had left and right hand lug nuts. Highly amusing changing a tire if you were not familiar.

Paul
          Red Rocket 1988 L, 133,XXX miles, 4 sp. AC, hit guard rail in snow, RIP, saved everything but body
          Black Rocket 1988 L 207,XXX miles, 4 sp. AC, engine, trans, wire harness, radiator from RR
          Red Rocket 2 1988 L 138,XXX miles, 4 sp
          White Rocket 1989 L 128,XXX miles, 4 sp. AC

Comment

Dan,

So you're saying I should replace the spindle, right? I couldn't find the spindle as a part at any of the normal places I look (RockAuto, PartsTrain, PartsGeek, eBay). I'm guessing this is a junkyard part? I hate buying used threaded stuff, but I guess if I inspect it really thoroughly... In the meantime, I'll be sure to keep an eye on the lock nut. I know those things are staked in, so I will make sure to check it every now and again until I chance upon a Festy at the yard.

Thanks for the advice!

Comment

Originally posted by Paul39 View Post
              Once upon a time, Chrysler products had left and right hand lug nuts. Highly amusing changing a tire if you were not familiar.

Paul
              I'm picturing myself stomping the hell out of the breaker bar now! :nightmare:

Comment

...and breaking the stud off!! lol

and yeah, itd make me feel better to have the right spindles! Just in case!

and yeah, if something did go, that stake is NOT going to stop the nut from coming off. It is there to keep it in place under normal conditions. We all know vibration doesnt tighten nuts and bolts, it always loosens them. That is what the stake is for.
                I've seen bearings take out the spindles. That little stake dont have a snowballs chance if something happens !
                Last edited by drddan; 08-23-2013, 05:35 PM.
                Dan

R.I.P.
                Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
                Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!

Comment

thats what i thought as well. but so far i've put 24,000 miles on mine and did a set of bearings and i havent had any issues. I did once have a bad spindle, so I bought a set of spindles with backing plates from a member here, and those were the same way, both right hand thread, and no cotter pin hole. Maybe this was a one year thing or something? The last 2 festivas i owned (1992 and a 1993) were both left hand thread on the passenger side.
                  1990 Festiva L "puddles". 187,000 mi. All stock, B8 coming this fall to a festiva near you

Comment

I think the cotter pin came on latter yrs. (90-93?) My 88 has the stake nut.

Ya know, I REALLY hate slamming the spindle with a hammer and punch! Makes me cringe! Ugh!
                    Last edited by drddan; 08-23-2013, 05:43 PM.
                    Dan

R.I.P.
                    Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!

Comment

Isn't it the other way around Dan. Since the left hand nut is on the right side (tightens turning counter clockwise) and the right hand nut is on the left side (tightens turning clockwise). I believe the reasoning behind this is to prevent the nut from tightening and locking up the wheel when moving forward if the nut locking tab fails.

Anyone know the actual tech specs reasoning behind this?

Stake nuts are all of mine (89,90's and 92)
                      Last edited by 1990new; 08-23-2013, 06:10 PM.

Comment

Ok, ya got me! lol I may have gotten that backwards. (rolls eyes)

Still a safety feature!
                        Dan

R.I.P.
                        Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!

Comment

I think the cotter pin came on latter yrs. (90-93?) My 88 has the stake nut.

Ya know, I REALLY hate slamming the spindle with a hammer and punch! Makes me cringe! Ugh!
                          mines a 90 and i have stake nuts. it is kinda bothersome banging on something like that isnt it, lol

Comment

I bought my car from a friend who had the RR wheel come off as he was slowing for a stop sign on a highway and that wheel passed him up. The thread direction on that axle did not prevent the nut from unwinding. I can't give the definitive word, but I sure don't believe it ever could. IMO, this is a sorry design that was used to save the manufacturing step/cost of drilling a hole. My friend was scared of the car and would not ever drive it again. I fixed that axle myself and I've put at least 80,000 miles on it since.
                            When I'm good I'm very, very good and when I'm bad I'm HORRID.

Comment

Thanks for the input guys. I think I will replace the spindle if I run across one but it's probably worth keeping an eye on the spindle nut anyway, seems to me.

Comment

Working...
                              X