X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• K&N air filter vs. OEMs (tech data)

Pretty interesting in my opinion.

Debunking the K&N Myth - Why OEM is Better : Nissan Articles
    Last edited by mikeyjd; 08-12-2013, 03:58 PM.
    My Fuel Log

See post #10 for my tips on fuel economy

Yup , interesting. I must say, tho, that when I owned a '90 Subaru Loyale, it had no power over 4000 RPM. Felt like it was starved for air. It was. The airbox's air intake hole was about 1/2 the size of the hole leading to the MAF. I drilled a couple dozen holes in the bottom of the airbox, and it gained a lot of power over 4K, since it could now breathe.

I've always felt this was true (quoting from the article above):
    "The stock filter will flow MORE THAN ENOUGH AIR to give you ALL THE HORSEPOWER the engine has to give."
    The real culprit is the air intake. They tend to be too small for the stock pleated filter to do its job to the maximum. How bad the problem is depends on how that intake was designed. Generally they are designed to minimize intake roar, so with that prejudice, they are compromising designing for power to some degree. A few holes in the lower airbox piece can only help breathing at higher RPMs; it will have no effect on lower-RPM driving for max MPGs.
    Last edited by TominMO; 08-12-2013, 04:50 PM.
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Did you advance your timing at all on your aspire Tom? I was looking into possibly doing this, but I'm not sure how to go about it correctly, or if I should.
      Last edited by mikeyjd; 08-12-2013, 05:56 PM.
      My Fuel Log

Comment

Originally posted by mikeyjd View Post
        Did you advance your timing at all on your aspire Tom? I was looking into possibly doing this, but I'm not sure how to go about it correctly, or if I should.
        Yes, it is advanced a little, and I run premium. I tried going back to stock advance, but it was too boring!
        90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
          Yes, it is advanced a little, and I run premium. I tried going back to stock advance, but it was too boring!
          How much did you advance it? Did you use a tool or just guess? Do you have to run premium to gain the advantage of it?
          My Fuel Log

Comment

Originally posted by mikeyjd View Post
            1. How much did you advance it?
            2. Did you use a tool or just guess?
            3. Do you have to run premium to gain the advantage of it?
            1. I forget. Not that much tho. I'll check and get back to you.
            2. Used a timing light.
            3. Premium is just a precaution against detonation due to the extra timing. Possibly mid-grade would be enough, I'm just being cautious.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

Working...
            X