Ian's B6T Festiva build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
    Did you order the dual element thermostat from Mazda? They are listed for the 89-93 miata iirc. It's got 2 elements and helps the car warm up faster and then run at the proper range better.
    Yes sir! Just picked it up from the dealer...

Last edited by fastivaca; 05-10-2016, 05:03 PM.
    Ian
    Calgary AB, Canada
    93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
    59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

Did you order the dual element thermostat from Mazda? They are listed for the 89-93 miata iirc. It's got 2 elements and helps the car warm up faster and then run at the proper range better.
      Just a question for myself as i was going to order from rockauto in the future-rockauto sells the motorcraft dual-element for $21, is it any better or worse than the mazda one?

Comment

• Originally posted by ryanprins13 View Post
        Just a question for myself as i was going to order from rockauto in the future-rockauto sells the motorcraft dual-element for $21, is it any better or worse than the mazda one?
        I can't say as I've had no experience with the Motorcraft one. I paid $29.00 + GST for the Mazda one and it was here overnight.
        Last edited by fastivaca; 05-10-2016, 05:08 PM.
        Ian
        Calgary AB, Canada

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Comment

• More progress in the last couple of days. I replaced the radiator, replaced the cheap e-bay slim fan with a brand name one from a local supplier, changed out the coolant and passed the inspection required for the insurance company!!

If anyone is considering an aftermarket fan don't waste your time on cheap e-bay ones. The one I first bought was noisy and I think it blocked more air than it let through which contributed to the running hot issue. I picked up an 11 inch Maradyne puller fan from a local supplier. It's a 130W fan pulling 1110cfm, fits the Festiva radiator perfectly and when mounted as far to the drivers side as possible clears all the B6T intake stuff. Forgot to take photos, sorry.

Someone suggested that the radiator I initially installed might be blocked I decided to replace it with another one I had on hand. Before doing so I ran water through it both directions in order to remove any loose debris. Mounted the new fan on the new rad and put them in the car. I replaced the coolant as well while I was at it. Took the car for a spin tonight and the temp gauge shows pointing straight up (I have the tach cluster) and pretty much stays there. I was in a line up for about twenty minutes and the fan kicked in a couple of times and did its job admirably.

So that's one issue solved. Still a few other little things to sort out. Still have to hook up the tach. VDO has a sender for the oil pressure gauge that will also trigger the oil light on the dash; I just have to figure out which would be the best to get as there are a couple of different options when it comes to the thread size. I also have a water temperature gauge for which I will need a sender and a spot to put the sender! The stereo wasn't working but I think it's just speakers so I'll have to pull the door panels and check that out. I'll be working on the stereo and doing an oil change this weekend.

One other thing I've noticed is that it's running fairly rich. Not sure what the cause of that would be... your suggestions would be welcome.

That's it for now... overall I'm really happy with how the car is coming together. Will be trying to get some more photos and possibly some video in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks for your continued interest and words of encouragement.

Ian
          Ian
          Calgary AB, Canada

Comment

• Good to hear! I was considering buying a cheap ebay fan
            So it moved less air than the stock fan? Or about the same? Mind if i ask how much the good fan from JB was?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Ryan, I found the eBay fan to be noisy, unbalanced and it didn't seem to move a lot of air. The Maradyne one is much better, it's balanced ( you can see the little balance weights), it's fairly quiet, and it moves a lot of air. Price from JBs was about $140. If you order online they have free shipping to Canada.

As a further update, we took the car out for a highway trip thus evening and the temperature stayed steady (according to the temp gauge). So I'm confident that the "run hot" issue has been solved successfully.
              Ian
              Calgary AB, Canada

Comment

• Originally posted by fastivaca View Post
                I also have a water temperature gauge for which I will need a sender and a spot to put the sender!
                Ian
                Congratulations Ian, sounds like it is going well.
                The car has 3 temperature sends. One in the intake manifold that is used to manage warming up the engine and adjusting the bypass air control (equivalent to the old choke adjusters). One in the radiator (or else in the outside, downstream side of the thermostat housing) which is used for the fan switch. And one in the upstream side of the thermostat housing which is used for the stock temp gauge in the car.
                If your aftermarket gauge is electric, an Autometer thread adaptor will allow you to put it into the upstream side of the thermostat fairly easily. That will disable the stock send of course, but you won't really need it. I put mine in the downstream side, because it is the larger mechanical style send, but I just have the fan on all the time, so I was OK with giving up that sensor/switch sender. Otherwise you are left with aftermarket in-line inserts for the radiator hose, which given how crowded that area is, may not be the easiest location.
                Thricetiva replaced Icetiva as the new ride
                Icetiva-3-race-car-build
                http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2533299

Comment

• Originally posted by Icedawg View Post
                  Congratulations Ian, sounds like it is going well.
                  The car has 3 temperature sends. One in the intake manifold that is used to manage warming up the engine and adjusting the bypass air control (equivalent to the old choke adjusters). One in the radiator (or else in the outside, downstream side of the thermostat housing) which is used for the fan switch. And one in the upstream side of the thermostat housing which is used for the stock temp gauge in the car.
                  If your aftermarket gauge is electric, an Autometer thread adaptor will allow you to put it into the upstream side of the thermostat fairly easily. That will disable the stock send of course, but you won't really need it. I put mine in the downstream side, because it is the larger mechanical style send, but I just have the fan on all the time, so I was OK with giving up that sensor/switch sender. Otherwise you are left with aftermarket in-line inserts for the radiator hose, which given how crowded that area is, may not be the easiest location.
                  Thanks for that Jed. Found this temperature sender sandwich plate.... once the project fund is topped up a bit I will be purchasing one.

Ian
                  Ian
                  Calgary AB, Canada

Comment

• Originally posted by fastivaca View Post
                    More progress in the last couple of days. I replaced the radiator, replaced the cheap e-bay slim fan with a brand name one from a local supplier, changed out the coolant and passed the inspection required for the insurance company!!

If anyone is considering an aftermarket fan don't waste your time on cheap e-bay ones. The one I first bought was noisy and I think it blocked more air than it let through which contributed to the running hot issue. I picked up an 11 inch Maradyne puller fan from a local supplier. It's a 130W fan pulling 1110cfm, fits the Festiva radiator perfectly and when mounted as far to the drivers side as possible clears all the B6T intake stuff. Forgot to take photos, sorry.

Someone suggested that the radiator I initially installed might be blocked I decided to replace it with another one I had on hand. Before doing so I ran water through it both directions in order to remove any loose debris. Mounted the new fan on the new rad and put them in the car. I replaced the coolant as well while I was at it. Took the car for a spin tonight and the temp gauge shows pointing straight up (I have the tach cluster) and pretty much stays there. I was in a line up for about twenty minutes and the fan kicked in a couple of times and did its job admirably.

So that's one issue solved. Still a few other little things to sort out. Still have to hook up the tach. VDO has a sender for the oil pressure gauge that will also trigger the oil light on the dash; I just have to figure out which would be the best to get as there are a couple of different options when it comes to the thread size. I also have a water temperature gauge for which I will need a sender and a spot to put the sender! The stereo wasn't working but I think it's just speakers so I'll have to pull the door panels and check that out. I'll be working on the stereo and doing an oil change this weekend.

One other thing I've noticed is that it's running fairly rich. Not sure what the cause of that would be... your suggestions would be welcome.

That's it for now... overall I'm really happy with how the car is coming together. Will be trying to get some more photos and possibly some video in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks for your continued interest and words of encouragement.

Ian
                    Where is the car running rich? My b6t cars always run rich under boost.
                    Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Where is the car running rich? My b6t cars always run rich under boost.
                      Exactly where you mentioned.... while under boost.

This is my first turbocharged car so I'm getting used to new noises etc. One thing I've noticed is that my right foot seems to get sucked to the floor quite often 😊
                      Ian
                      Calgary AB, Canada

Comment

• Yeah, this syndrome also tends to develop a weird muscle memory that integrates the right foot with the face muscles. Pushing of the toes typically generates a foolish grin in a pavlovian manner. The effects can be rather permanent.

The rich condition is normal on the b6t. Tweak will dip down into the mid 10:1 range sometimes. It only seems to be a problem with fuel mileage. If you want to conserve fuel, drive under 4k rpm and avoid using more than 3/4 throttle. The car will still be fast, but it'll run in the mid 13's on your 02 meter. It should cruise (low throttle no boost) around 14.5:1, but over 4k rpm it'll run in the low 13:1 range. The b6t fuel injection runs in open loop at WOT, so it'll always run rich when you pin it.
                        Last edited by Advancedynamix; 05-31-2016, 03:05 PM.
                        Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

The rich condition is normal on the b6t. Tweak will dip down into the mid 10:1 range sometimes. The b6t fuel injection runs in open loop at WOT, so it'll always run rich when you pin it.
                          Agreed, mine runs at 10.3 or so under WOT, and 14 to 14.5 at idle or when cruising around at 1/4 throttle.
                          Thricetiva replaced Icetiva as the new ride
                          Icetiva-3-race-car-build
                          http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2533299

Comment

• Just a few more photos for your enjoyment...

The euro tail lights were picked up from The Festiva Store!
                            The Festiva emblem was purchased from forum member CapriTypeR.
                            Last edited by fastivaca; 06-13-2016, 11:03 PM.
                            Ian
                            Calgary AB, Canada

Comment

• Well, I certainly enjoyed them....htd
                              Jack Byrd,
                              1991 Capri
                              1988 Festiva LX, 240K
                              1970 Chev C10
                              1977 Airstream Argosy MH

Comment

• What a beautiful car! Great job Ian. Have you been enjoying the extra HP? How is the clutch working?

Comment

Working...
                                X