Front wheel bearing spacers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front wheel bearing spacers

How can you tell for sure if you have the correct spacers in your knuckles?

aside from the spacer selection tool set, proper use of a micrometer to measure the machined gap between the race seats +.001-.0015" and double check the turning torque.

remember, each knuckle is unique within a specification window. and the spacer that came with the knuckle is a non-wearable piece and never needs to be replaced with another unit.
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

What he said. When you pull the old bearings out, keep track of the spacer and make sure you put same one back in.
      Thom-Lifes too short, don't blink
      93 Festiva (Little Red Truck)
      01 F-150 (Big Red Truck)

Comment

As long as the bearings are machined exactly the same with no imperfections that would work. I reused the spacers on my aspire with timken components and the right side was way too loose ( spacer too thick) drove it for 5 years like that then ended up finding the spacer selection tool at work and bought all the spacers. It had a 13 in it I believe it ended up using a 10 or 11 to get the proper rotating torque
        Tim
        '97 Aspire ST, UltraViolet Blue, 37k miles - New Storage Queen
        '03 SVT Lightning, Dark Shadow Gray, 30k miles - Storage Queen 11 months/year
        '95 SVT Aspire B3T, Green Mica, 75k miles - DD
        '01 ZX-500R, Violet Pearl/Gray, 5400 miles - Storage Queen
        '89 Suzuki FA50 Bright Red - Lake Transportation

Cardomain.com/id/aspiresvt

Previous Vehicles
        '92 Festiva L "Sport" Green Mica
        '92 Festiva GL Blue Pearl
        '92 Capri XR2 Performance Red

Comment

AspireSVT.........what is the difference in thickness between a 13 and a 10 spacer? Also what was happening to the loose right side wheel you wrote about? I have a shake in my front end that I can't find the cause of. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Aspire SVT View Post
            As long as the bearings are machined exactly the same with no imperfections that would work. I reused the spacers on my aspire with timken components and the right side was way too loose ( spacer too thick) drove it for 5 years like that then ended up finding the spacer selection tool at work and bought all the spacers. It had a 13 in it I believe it ended up using a 10 or 11 to get the proper rotating torque
            I've been noticing the exact same thing when doing my pre load set ups. I've been having to go 2-3 sizes smaller.So that tells me there has been a change in bearing manufacturing.

Originally posted by denguy View Post
            AspireSVT.........what is the difference in thickness between a 13 and a 10 spacer? Also what was happening to the loose right side wheel you wrote about? I have a shake in my front end that I can't find the cause of. Thanks
            They are sized in MM thickness but to give you an idea the difference between a 10 & 11. The 11 would be 1.6 thousands "Thicker",giving you less "Pre load". If yours is loose denguy,you might be getting the shake from the rotor not running true. I experienced the same thing with a loose bearing setup. If you put the same spacer back in you are just hoping its good.I know thats what a lot of folks do and it'll be ok. But if you want it right,you have to check it right.
            Last edited by nitrofarm; 12-20-2012, 08:43 AM.
            Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
            Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
            Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

What is the torque mentioned above? Wheel rotation?

Comment

Do a search. People have posted the spacer chart in this forum, also the procedure to select the proper one.
                The old spacer should work with the new bearings because the bearings are all made to specifications. The spacer is not subject to wear as it is stationary between the bearing gages.
                Often the wheel will be tight when the bearings are replaced until the weight of the car is on them for a few rotations which sets the bearings. If the bearings are loose try tightening the axle nut. It's hard to get it torqued to spec by hand without a handle extension and full body weight.
                Last edited by WmWatt; 12-20-2012, 12:06 PM.
                Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Kia still sells the spacers for the rio, same parts!
                  Tim
                  '97 Aspire ST, UltraViolet Blue, 37k miles - New Storage Queen
                  '03 SVT Lightning, Dark Shadow Gray, 30k miles - Storage Queen 11 months/year
                  '95 SVT Aspire B3T, Green Mica, 75k miles - DD
                  '01 ZX-500R, Violet Pearl/Gray, 5400 miles - Storage Queen
                  '89 Suzuki FA50 Bright Red - Lake Transportation

Cardomain.com/id/aspiresvt

Previous Vehicles
                  '92 Festiva L "Sport" Green Mica
                  '92 Festiva GL Blue Pearl
                  '92 Capri XR2 Performance Red

Comment

I was thinking there was a torque spec for how much it took to turn the knuckle after assembly showing the bearings were set right.

Comment

I was thinking there was a torque spec for how much it took to turn the knuckle after assembly showing the bearings were set right.
                      CHECK THIS OUT starts at post #24
                      Last edited by nitrofarm; 12-20-2012, 05:06 PM.

Comment

How do I get to "post 24"?

Comment

Re: Front wheel bearing spacers

If you're using the website, the post number is displayed at the top right hand corner of each member's post in any particular thread.
                          In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
                          There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

Originally posted by nitrofarm View Post
                            CHECK THIS OUT starts at post #24
                            Click on "Check this out" (its a link) then just scroll down to the post number #24 like driverone stated.....When you get there the VERY LAST image is actually a video (poor quality i know) but it shows how quickly the pre-load process can actually be checked.Good luck,isnt there a member close by in FL that could help you?
                            Last edited by nitrofarm; 12-20-2012, 07:21 PM.

Comment

In nitrofarm's post above, put your cursor on the words "CHECK THIS OUT" and click on them. That is a link to the post.
                              Rick
                              1993 Ford Festiva
                              1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear. SOLD
                              1981 AMC Eagle Wagon-As Seen on TV Lost In Transmission
                              2000 Ford E350

Comment

Working...
                              X