Thermostat replacement.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thermostat replacement.

I know I need a 2-stage, so im hunting for that.
    Aside from a dab of adhesive on the t-stat to hold it in place; does anyone have any other suggestions, tips or trics?
    How about photos of the process?
    Fast....Women are fast
    Quick...Nestle is quick

I Speak French....in German! lol.

Get Ford part #RT-1073 (F1CZ-8575-A). That is the correct two stage t-stat. I have the box in front of me and just installed one recently. I intend on installing this one soon.

There is a Mazda equivalent part but I don't have the number. Rockauto has a Gates Part #TH30688G1 that looks exactly like what I have from Motorcraft (Ford). It's about $36, which IIRC is about the going rate. I checked a local Ford dealer, Ricart's:

So check around. You should be able to get it cheaper. I need to order some more myself.

Here is the relevant thread:

Post your Festiva or Aspire repair and maintenance issues. - USE THIS FORUM FOR ANY TECHNICAL RELATED POST (IE. How do I change my oil?, How to remove axle from tranny?, etc)

Read it all the way through so you get all the info. I think it has the Mazda part #. I believe that thread was started by our founder, DJ Hayek.

Do you have a Ford shop manual? Or at least a Haynes manual for Festiva/Aspire?

Karl

PS: Here is the thread announcing DJ's death:

I never got to meet him.
    Last edited by Safety Guy; 11-30-2012, 01:52 PM.
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

thanks again safety guy. I went to the locals for the T-stat, and they all just shook their head at me, or insisted I don't need a two stage......
      I swear some parts counter guys........anyways.
      Ok ill check my local dealers and see what they have. if not ill order from that sight. I might as well take Q from you and order a few so I have some spares around.

Thanks. the first thread you posted is where I got the tidbit from the Gorilla glue or a dab of adhesive.
      I don't have a "Hanes manual" yet, I'm still sourcing one. I have seen a few for 90 and 92 festivas but I never got around to asking if there were relevant for my 93GL.

I started reading the thread about David James Hayek. I am about two pages in. My A.D.D does not let me sit through two or more pages at a time (if I want proper comprehension of what I just read). I have been going through all the different areas here ( exterior, custom engine, etc) from oldest to newest. I am all the way through the exterior, and on page 22 of the " custom engine" part ( remember I'm going from finish to start). The problem is: most of the threads with good info either have dead links or dead pics...or they just go waaaay off topic. But, I'm slowly learning as I go.
      Fast....Women are fast
      Quick...Nestle is quick

Comment

Good show! Fortunately, you get to read at your own pace here.

You wrote:

" I have seen a few for 90 and 92 festivas but I never got around to asking if there were relevant for my 93GL."

If you get a good price, say under $20 or $25 shipped, go for any year from '91 to '93. Even the '90 info should apply to most Festivas with FI. The only problem with the '88 and '89 manuals was that most Festivas were carbed back then, and no '88 Festivas had FI. In '89 the autos got their own transitional version of FI, so if you ever get one of those, get the specific manual.

Carbed, get the '88 or '89 manuals.

FI, get the '90 to '93 manuals.

'89 auto with FI, get that year manual.

It's good to have both shop and Haynes. The Haynes is a nice cheap (sometimes you can get them for under $12 shipped, or in a combo deal) one to keep in your car. The Ford shop manuals are best.

If you ever want to get an Aspire or do the Aspire brake swap, get the best deal on an Aspire manual (any year!) when you see one.

When you find a Ford dealer you want to order from, check online for coupons to see if you can get a small discount. I just got about 3% off. Check out "retailmenot.com" which I've had good luck with many times before.

Karl

Comment

MiltonH, You asked about tips and tricks, go to the repair help forum, 4th sticky down, then go to the 117th post, this works and will get you better heat. good luck.
          An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.

Comment

I had luck getting a two stage thermostat from the McParts store (specifically, o'reilly's) by asking for a '90 Mazda 323 t-stat. It's a 195 degree two stage that fits our B3, the Mazda has a SOHC B6.
            -Zack
            Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

Sweet! safety guy. I will get the ford shop manual. I saw one on eBay a few days ago.
              There was an aspire manual in one of the yards I should have snagged it.
              @sc72: I saw the cardboard in front of the radiator trick. If that's what your talking I'd rather not just "bandaid". If its different then I appologise.

@crazyrog: I will try that tomorrow!
              Fast....Women are fast
              Quick...Nestle is quick

Comment

I took all the forum advice about wonderful 2 stage thermostats and tracked down a genuine Mazda one a few years ago, but be honest here, I never noticed anything different heat-wise over the cheapies. I'm not suggesting you take my advice though. As well, since I was highway travelling 125 miles per day in winter in Ontario at the time I blocked off the entire rad (it's true) with cardboard for 3 months and never noticed any improved heat coming via that ruse either. It does get cold here mind you and Festys are not reknowned for boiling/baking their owners no matter what you do to the heating system. Shut down a Festy at -30 just to go in a gas bar for a pack of smokes and it takes 5 minutes for the temp gauge to register again! Those engines aren't much of a heat sink.

Comment

Originally posted by MiltonHavoc View Post
                  Sweet! safety guy. I will get the ford shop manual. I saw one on eBay a few days ago.
                  There was an aspire manual in one of the yards I should have snagged it.
                  @sc72: I saw the cardboard in front of the radiator trick. If that's what your talking I'd rather not just "bandaid". If its different then I appologise.

@crazyrog: I will try that tomorrow!
                  MiltonH, The post was made byFB71, go to the repair help forum, click the 4th sticky down, go to page 12, then look for post #117, it takes awhile to do but it works. Good luck
                  An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.

Comment

@sc72: Man, how did I miss that the first time through. thanks for the heads up on that. I will try this first!
                    Fast....Women are fast
                    Quick...Nestle is quick

Comment

Milton, this may be late for you, but I have some t-stat replacement pics and description in Prettystiva's build thread here:

I include the Ford part number for the two stage t-stat, with pics.

Karl

Comment

News to me.........what is the purpose of a 2 stage stat?

Comment

Originally posted by MiltonHavoc View Post
                          I know I need a 2-stage, so im hunting for that.
                          Aside from a dab of adhesive on the t-stat to hold it in place; does anyone have any other suggestions, tips or trics?
                          How about photos of the process?
                          Milt, here's the Mazda # 8AK1-15-171-9U $18 last time I got one.
                          Chuck
                          Life's a beach, then you marry one---- Shakespeare
                          If money will fix it, it's not broken
                          91 GL -Ol' Rusty
                          93 GL - Lil Red
                          91 L - Tweetystiva
                          http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/festi...tfordcat/54176
                          http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/festi...tfordcat/54596

Comment

To quote the manual:

"A two-stage thermostat is used for more precise coolant temperature control, less fluctuation of temperature, and a quicker warm-up."
                            Section 27-03 page 27-03-1
                            Last edited by CharlieZ; 12-08-2012, 02:34 PM.

Comment

Sounds good..........thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X