New trailer hitch -- wiring -- electrical connector question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New trailer hitch -- wiring -- electrical connector question

I had a new trailer hitch welded up yesterday for $300 complete. See attached 2 photos.

The top of the ball (unloaded) is 18" above the ground.

My question re wiring/connector is in the next post, with its own 2 photos.
    88L black, dailydriver
    88LX silver a/c, dailydriver
    4 88/89 disassembled
    91L green
    91GL aqua pwrsteer
    92GL red a/c reardmg
    3 93L blue, 2 dailydriver, 1 frontdmg
    1952 Cessna170B floatplane

I determined that I need an electrical converter, and got one for $18 from Napa.

For attaching the trailer wires to the car cleanly, I'd like to stick 6" "extender" cables on the ends of the connectors that plug into the tail light assemblies. I'd then tap into the extender cables (work that I can do neartly inside on my desk).

Does anybody know where I can buy such extender cables, or at least the connectors and pins. I can get crimpable pins at Napa, but I'm not sure (even after removing their outer plastic housings) whether they'll fit in the connectors. I can't find a ready source for the connectors.

This obviously is not a Radio Shack item.

Doing it this way would allow me to move the wiring to another car in 5 minutes!
    Last edited by AlaskaFestivaGuy; 09-25-2010, 02:29 PM.
    88L black, dailydriver
    4 88/89 disassembled
    91L green
    91GL aqua pwrsteer
    92GL red a/c reardmg

Comment

That hitch looks good!

Sorry I can't help with the electrical. It ain't my strong area!

However, you could get extra pigtails of the rear lights to play with to see what you could do about a mod.

Karl
      '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
      '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
      '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
      '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
      '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

What harm would it pose to just splice into the stock wiring?

Use a razor blade to peel off a quarter inch of insulation, wrap the new wire around inline and solder it. Good electrical tape, and you're set. Make sure you have the splice inside the car, before it exits the body to the lamps so weather won't be an issue.

If you're really intent on your route, grab the male and female ends off of a car at the junkyard and splice them together with your wires in the middle.
        -Zack
        Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

I really want to do it right, using crimped connections. I used to drive a 74 F250 pulling the occasional trailer, and was always chasing down trailer connection problems, some of which would cause the truck's headlights to turn off at the worst possible time.

A properly crimped connection is 100% gas-tight (won't corrode) and will last for 50+ years. I already have a dozen different ratcheting crimping tools from my work on airplanes, so I just need connectors and pins. Schucks, a local auto parts place, suggested that Delco-Remy (or whatever it might be called these days) has a whole online catalog of connectors, which I'll look into after Seattle's rare blue skies depart.
          88L black, dailydriver
          4 88/89 disassembled
          91L green
          91GL aqua pwrsteer
          92GL red a/c reardmg

Comment

Nice Alaska !! Glad to see you are getting fixed up. Good idea on the electical connection. Not sure where youd get the extensions you speak of though.
            sigpic
            The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
            https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
            Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

Working...
            X