88 festy surging/jerking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 88 festy surging/jerking

I already did a search on this toppic, however it seems that everybody elses festy surg or jerk when the accelerator is applied, going up hill, or under a load, ect..... yet with my festy is does it when i am in gear and coasting, but if I am coasting and out of gear it doesnt do it. The only thing I can think of is the clutch needs to be replaced or the vehicle is going to slow for that gear. Either way it is irretating and when the jerks you can feel it. I am sure who ever is behind me can also see it too. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
    Man should eat when he can for Man does not know when his last meal will be.

I used to think jerking meant clutch problems, but it's the carb! I spent a small Fortune at a professional carb shop having the carb rebuilt on my pristine 88LX to cure jerking. Now it jerks worse than ever (particularly when in gear at low power settings) and gets only 25mpg around town. My 88L jerks somewhat less (despite never having touched the carb) and gets 37-39mpg with jackrabbit starts at every stoplight.

I'm speculating that when in gear, it's pumping fuel (too much of it) into the carb, and it's burning at random times, producing jerking. When at idle (out of gear), excess fuel isn't going into the carb due to the lower rpm.

I think all the carb experts must have moved to the Old Folks Home.

None of my fuel-injected Festies ever jerk.
    Last edited by AlaskaFestivaGuy; 12-18-2009, 12:12 AM.
    88L black, dailydriver
    88LX silver a/c, dailydriver
    4 88/89 disassembled
    91L green
    91GL aqua pwrsteer
    92GL red a/c reardmg
    3 93L blue, 2 dailydriver, 1 frontdmg
    1952 Cessna170B floatplane

Comment

Sounds like your Decel Pot isn't working. It keeps the throttle plates from snapping close when you let up on the gas pedal. Note: the Fuel-Injected motors have it, too.

Kirk

Comment

My 89 when I first got it did the same thing. Turned out to be vacuum leaks in a couple of different places, mainly around the vacuum switches on the firewall to the right of the air cleaner.
        1960 willys pickup
        1967 jeep cj5

1988 festiva
        1989 festiva
        1990 festiva for parts
        1991 s-10

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" —Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Comment

Each of mine vary to some degree, but Rasta jerks as you describe. Vacuum leaks, and resulting ABCC valve fluctuations are what I have always attributed it to.

Michael
          Have owned 9 so far
          White 89 L converted to LX "The Curmudgeon" Being a Curmudgeon right now.
          Blue 89 L converted to LX "Shtinky" FMS crate engine,cam,flywheel,hail dents
          Smurf Blue 90 LX "Smurffy" He Ran Away From Home!!!!!! Says Willie loves him more than I did!
          Red 88 L converted to LX "Rasta, Mon" Now retired
          Where did all these @#*&%$ Toyotas come from around here?

Comment

Rather than futz with all those brittle hoses, my "To Do" list includes upgrading the jerky 88LX's carb'd engine to FI. Perhaps next summer ...
            88L black, dailydriver
            88LX silver a/c, dailydriver
            4 88/89 disassembled
            91L green
            91GL aqua pwrsteer
            92GL red a/c reardmg
            3 93L blue, 2 dailydriver, 1 frontdmg
            1952 Cessna170B floatplane

Comment

You can have everything else perfect and it will still do it if your O2 sensor is bad. Took me about a year to figure that out on my '89 LX. Now I'll bet it runs as well or better than anyones on here.

Comment

Well I have one vaccum hose that is disconnected and I cant figure out where it goes. Wish i could figure out where it does go. Other than that my O2 sensor is good. The carb I really dont want to mess with unless I buy a brand new one to replace it.

Comment

You can replace the accelerator pump without removing the carb. Of course, rebuilding would be the best option. Once you get it off the car, it's not really that bad. Already rebuilt ones are way expensive. Rebuild kit is 20 to 30 bucks. If you take a picture I may be able to figure out where your vacuum line goes. Mines completely original except the ignition system. If you do rebuild, be sure to mark all the hoses before removing the carb. Good luck- they are frustrating but they can be fixed.

Comment

Brickdog2000, you might, as a temporary fix, plug the hose.
                    Till you find were it goes.
                    Assuming it is a vacuum hose.
                    I really don't know what else it could be.
                    Do you have a carbie trouble shooting manual which shows the vac hoses and electric diagrams?
                    '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                    '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                    '92 Aqua parts Car
                    '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                    '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                    Your holy ghost will not save you.
                    Your God plutonium will not save you.
                    In fact...
                    ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Pu241 The only manual I have is a haynes manual. However, on my hood is a vaccum diagram for the engine. The only issue is I dont understand it. That is my downfall as a mechanic. I cant convert diagrams to the actual parts, I like to see diagrams with pictures of the actual components so i can relate it to the vehicle.

Comment

Never mind I took time to look at the area where the vaccum line was hanging and figured it out, BUT now my check engine light is on so I am going to see what the code is hopefully sometime this week.

Comment

just one thing from the peanut gallery, no-brainer be sure to check the fuel filter
                          It's Not Much To Look At, But It's Still Funny To See The Look On Their Faces When They Catch Back Up To You At The Next Light!

Comment

Well it aint the fuel filter. I found out that my O2 sensor wire was rubbed down to bare wire. So I figured I could fix it right, after all its only a wire. Well It turns out that the wire has a seperate wire internally. this wire is wrapped with wire on the outside. Hopefully I did fix it, but just in case does anyone knows if this matters???

Comment

Originally posted by brickdog2000 View Post
                              Well I have one vaccum hose that is disconnected and I cant figure out where it goes. Wish i could figure out where it does go. Other than that my O2 sensor is good. The carb I really dont want to mess with unless I buy a brand new one to replace it.
                              Consider switching to a Weber. Clean engine bay, works great, don't have to deal with lotsa vacuum hoses, the O2 sensor, or changing over to EFI. Here is a link to adaptors: http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...=weber+adaptor

You can buy a used Weber on ebay and buy a rebuild kit from the place that sells the adaptors and air filters. I'm considering doing this with a used carb intake manifold just as a proof-of-concept, then selling the result (if it works).

Of course, this will only apply if you are not subject to emissions inspections where you are.
                              Last edited by TominMO; 01-14-2010, 07:07 PM.
                              90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                              09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Working...
                              X