help help help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help help help

just did my passenger front axle shaft bottom ball joint and outer tie rod and its making a squekking sound when i lower a gear and my breaks are really loose.. help help

Can you clarify what you mean by lower a gear and brakes are loose?
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/hawkdoc60

01 Chevy Impala 9C1 police package "Unnamed yet". 154K
    88 LX 5 speed "Silver PHOENIX" Currently being rebuilt inside and out. 400K
    88 L 4 speed "Cherry Bomb" saved from the car crusher just in time. 186K
    06 Ford F-150 Pickup Replacement for my 2001 Impala Cop Car that lunched its engine.

Comment

brakes arent as tight like i can floor em and slow stop and im goin 45 in 4th drop it to 3rd and it squels

Comment

did i put in to much tranny fluid and how do i check????

Comment

I would first suggest to verify that you put the brake caliper back on correctly. It might also be seized up, thus keeping it from braking properly. As for the squeal, did you replenish any fluid that spilled out of the transmission when you pulled the axle?

06 Ford F-150 Pickup Replacement for my 2001 Impala Cop Car that lunched its engine.

Comment

I keep doing a doubletake whenever I see that user name. Anyway, not sure about communications here, brakes are squishy? need to bleed them? Squeals from brakes or...?

Comment

Originally posted by dragonslit View Post
              did i put in to much tranny fluid and how do i check????
              You check the fluid in the tranny using the gear that the speedometer is connected to on the transmission. There is a 10mm bolt that holds it down. Remove the bolt and pull the gear assembly out of the tranny. There are marks on the gear that indicate fluid level.

Comment

Did you disconnect the brake line when you did the axle? If so did you bleed them? Where does the squeeling sound like its coming from?

Comment

ok the little orange thing on thebottom of the wire right ???

Comment

i think me needs to bleed brakes there just a little loose other than that wat am i looking for TO check the tranny fluid when i pull the 10mm off and the thing???

Comment

See if there is juice in there, should be up pretty high, theres a "mark" on the speedo gear.
                      I've seen them much lower than that with no problems myself....

Comment

I'm confused.

Just changing the control are an tie rod end should have no effect on the braking system.

How were the brakes before the performed maintenance?
                        Joe Lutz

The SKATE ..... 1992L 5spd
                        The Greatest Purchase I Ever Made

Comment

The speedometer cable comes out of the firewall and goes straight down to the side of the transmission toward the rear of the car. The speedometer cable is black and about 3/8" diameter. When you follow it down to the tranny, you should feel a knurled collar that screws onto the gear. Unscrew it, pull out the cable, take the bolt out, and then pull the gear out of the transmission. There are two notches on the gear that indicate where the fluid should be. Reassemble is the opposite of removal. When tightening down the bolt, do not overtighten, because the tab on the side of the speedo gear will break easily. Make sure you align the speedo cable properly before reinserting it into the gear and screwing on the collar. Does that help?

Comment

Speedo gear should be saturated with tranny fluid or oil(whatever you use)I would say, and the "mark" is up above the actual gear to clarify.

Comment

first, just for grins, jack your car back up and turn the wheel by hand, if it does squeel, turn the wheel so that the front of it is pointing out, make sure you didnt bend the rotor protector. Thats on the back, and it protects the rotor from being hit, if you look, you should see what i mean. Its hard to determine what exactly your talking about so im just taking a stab
                              Thom-Lifes too short, don't blink
                              93 Festiva (Little Red Truck)
                              01 F-150 (Big Red Truck)

Comment

Working...
                              X