Focus Bumper Transplant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Focus Bumper Transplant

V8Festiva and I were at a local junkyard recently, scrounging for some Festiva stuff when I spotted a bright red 2000 Focus with it's front bumper dangling. Somebody in my noggin said, "I wonder if we could make that bumper fit onto a Festiva?" Ignorance is Bliss so they say (I had no idea if any Festy owner had ever tried such a transplant; much less if anyone was successful). So I unbolted the Focus' bumper & carried it over to The Only Festiva in the junkyard. Dang! It almost fits perfectly! We discussed it for a while & made a few quick measurements and I decided to take the bumper home & give it a try.

At V8Festiva's place, I removed all the front end lights, the Festy bumper fascia, the grille, the "eyelashes" and the styrofoam bumper inserts. We used wide tape to hold the Focus bumper as we fine tuned it's position on the Festiva. There was a considerable overhang into the wheel wells. We talked about locating the bumper more forward, but when we mocked it up, it just didn't look right. So we decided to measure, mark and mangle... uhhhh I mean trim off the excess.

Once the bumper was placed to my satisfaction, I predrilled holes with a 9/64" metal bit into the Festy's metal bumper box and sunk 10 or so 3/4 inch long hex head sheet metal screws thru the Focus bumper's mount tabs to secure it to the car. The lower edge of the bumper was floppy (as expected) & needed bracing.

Serendipity, the bottom bumper fastening holes on the Festy's frame were in the same vertical plane as some flat tabs near the bottom inside of the Focus bumper. All I had to do was to drill holes in the Focus bumper's lower tabs and make a semi-accurate measurement from the tabs back to the frame. I fab'd 3 braces from a four foot long section of 1/8 inch thick by 3/4 inch wide flat aluminum bar stock, bought from the local hardware store. I cut 3 braces from the aluminum bar stock and drilled holes in both ends (about 1/2 inch from the end, centered) to accomodate 1/4-20 x 1/2 inch long screws. The screws were installed thru the frame/brace and the bumper tab/brace with Ny-Lok nuts to help prevent them from working loose. After installing these 3 braces the bumper was quite rigid and didn't flex perceptibly when pushed on with a hand.

Now the sides of the bumper at the wheel wells had to be secured to the fenders. Interestingly enough, the Focus bumper was only marginally wider than the Festiva's fenders. I was able to bend the new bumper (it's all urethane) gently to butt up flush with the Festy's fenders. V8Festiva held the bumper flush against the fender while I got under the car to drill holes. I drilled 3 pilot holes (see above) into the fender sheetmetal that is parallel with the ground & snugged up 3 sheet metal screws (each side, left & right).

Then it was time to mark & trim off the excess bumper material that protruded into the wheel wells. I covered a small area of the new bumper with blue tape, visually estimating where I would have to cut the new radius. I taped a string to a magic marker & centered it on the front axle. Then I drew a few passes onto the blue tape, closely mimicking the Festy's fender well radius. Once I was happy with the new radius line, I installed a fine-tooth metal cutting blade into my Bosch (shameless product plug) sabre saw. V8Festiva held the loose end of the bumper while I cut the radius (working from top to bottom). The fine-tooth metal cutting blade went thru the urethane material "like buttaah" and left a nice smooth edge.

Once this was done it was time to re-install the lights. I didn't want to cut holes in the bumper for the turn signals, so I temporarily relocated them to the lower grille on the Focus bumper. I went really low tech for the time being & held them in place with plastic zip-ties thru the mounting holes of the turn signal, wrapped & secured around the vertical grille bars.

I removed my red/white-striped '88 grille and installed a charcoal/black '88 grille that was generously donated by V8Festiva. All I have left to do is fab a valance panel to cover the exposed bumper box that shows between the back edge of the upper bumper & the grille area.

Many thanks to V8Festiva, Smedley, JLock & Cal for their generous assistance & encouragement! You guys are family!

Here are some in-progress pics with more to come later in the week...

Bumper taped in place to adjust final position

Drilling holes for the mounting screws <=== added

Marking the new radius

Cutting the overhanging material off

Here's how much material was removed

JLock & her husband helping me re-install my lights

Lookeee! I cutted this here curve all by my own self!

Relocating the turn signals to the lower grille

The almost finished bumper transplant (I took a little liberty with some mild photo editing... the corner lites really are not black!)

Added these ======================
    Mock ups...
    Charcoal grille

Red grille /white stripes
    Last edited by sam.1956; 10-28-2008, 08:57 PM. Reason: more pix

Focustiva: Because I was told it was was impossible to fit a Focus bumper on a Festiva.
    In memory of Dean Allen - V8 Festiva 1955-2010

Looks awesome! How's the fit?...
    edit: nevermind, i should pay more attention to the pics!
    Last edited by lanemeyer14; 10-28-2008, 08:27 PM.
    "Lane, I've been going to this high school for seven and a half years. I'm no dummy."

Gone but never forgotten, "Hulkstiva"...http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ht=progression

Comment

Wow man, nice work!
      youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

That fits way better than I would have thought!
        How much clearance do you have between the ground and bottom of the bumper?
        You don't have lowering springs do you?
        That should function as a good looking air dam.
        You need to check you MPG to see if it had any effect!
        Great Job Sam!
        '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
        '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
        '92 Aqua parts Car
        '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
        '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
        Your holy ghost will not save you.
        Your God plutonium will not save you.
        In fact...
        ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

by the eight blue arms of Vishnu, that looks cool! Good eye, Sam!
          Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
          Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

man thats sharp
            Neil

Jesus loves me. This I know.

93 L track prep in progress
            88? Parts car-sold
            91 L B6-me f25mr-soon to be ???
            86 b2000- pisses of HOA-sold
            1997 k1500 suburban- kid hauler/GAS hog

Comment

Looks real good man.
              Anything for a Festiva:thumbup::thumbright:

Comment

Thanks for all the kind words, guys! It's really appreciated!

Focustiva: Because I was told it was was impossible to fit a Focus bumper on a Festiva.

Comment

The car looks like it is smiling, now!!! I like it!
                  ENFORCER - Midwest Festiva Inc., Iowa

#1 '90 Sport to modified Lx - RollazX
                  #2 .....Cheesehead
                  #3 '91 White - Donor Car
                  #4 .....Montana Project
                  SOLD----Levistiva for $1500
                  Bought her back for $450
                  Now that's darn near priceless!!

Comment

That looks great! And you looked like you were having WAY to much fun installing it!
                    Brian
                    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
                    :fish:

Comment

was wondering what , if anything you were going to do about the gap where the bumper ends at the wheel well? Other then that it looks great.
                      "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
                      89L Silver EFI auto
                      91GL Green Auto DD
                      There ain't no rest for the wicked
                      until we close our eyes for good.
                      I will sleep when I die!
                      I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

hmmm... I likey! It sure is different!

Like John said - keep an eye on your mpg's, it may help a little. Also, some more finished pics from different angles would be cool!

you drop that BP in Dean's car yet?
                        ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
                        91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
                        1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
                        2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

I've been thinking about making something to fill that little wedge-shaped gap. Not quite sure what exactly I want to use quite yet. I also need to fab a valence panel to cover the exposed top of the box beam in front of the grille. I'll post more pics when I get those figured out!

Skeeter: Dean's BP is still in the garage for the moment. I'm going to look at a BP for Sammy come this Saturday. Woooo Hooooo!!!!

Comment

Looks pretty good Sam! I'd like to see a side profile of the car now that the sides are tucked in with the fenders.
                            www.cardomain.com/id/jermnc77

Madness Committee Member & Contact Person
                            www.festivamadness.com

Festiva Madness
                            Snoopy's
                            4621 Atlantic Ave
                            Raleigh, NC 27604

Comment

Looks great! That is really cool.

Karl
                              '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                              '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                              '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                              '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                              '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Working...
                              X