Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radiator tank leak

Hey all,
    So, the top tank on my radiator ('88 L+ 4-speed, 200,000+ miles) appears to be leaking right where the tank is crimped to the core. Nothing bad yet, just seeping enough to make it drip onto the ground a little. No problems with overheating. Went to two different pick-a-parts today, only found one Festy, and the radiator was in really bad shape. May try another location soon or see if anyone here has one to buy.
    Does anyone have any experience with this problem? I do not want to use that radiator "stop leak" stuff; i've heard it can create problems.
    Can the top "crimps" be tightened in some way or sealed with some substance?
    I did a search and found some answers, but nothing definite.
    Thanks!!
    If it has boobs or wheels, sooner or later you're going to have trouble with it.
    Mark S.

the tanks can be crimped a bit tighter with a pair of channel locks or vice grips, but only very slightly.
    Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
    Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

mine was leaking at the, top right hand corner on my 88 model. i just bought a new radiator from rock auto. it was for an automatic so it has better cooling capacity. i have a discount number that will give you a 5 percent discount. it is good till august 19. just put the number in the how did you hear about us area,and only put the number in nothing else. the number is 1086340949682 . it's an all metal radiator no plastic. mine came to $117.00 shipped.
      1960 willys pickup
      1967 jeep cj5

1988 festiva
      1989 festiva
      1990 festiva for parts
      1991 s-10

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" —Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Comment

I've crimped a few tanks in my time with some sucess. I use a pair od vise-grips. I set the vise grips up on a pert of the tanke that is not leaking....that way I insure that I will not over crimp the part of the tank that need attention.
        Joe Lutz

The SKATE ..... 1992L 5spd
        The Greatest Purchase I Ever Made

Comment

hey worfdog,
          that is a great price for an all metal radiator.

Comment

forgot to mention that it also has a bung in the bottom tank for the sensor that the carbed models have.
            1960 willys pickup
            1967 jeep cj5

1988 festiva
            1989 festiva
            1990 festiva for parts
            1991 s-10

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" —Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Comment

Working...
            X