No announcement yet.

center 30A fusible link keeps blowing!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• center 30A fusible link keeps blowing!

this just started happening-
    in the engine compartment are 3 fusible links (blue,pink,blue). the center one (30A - pink) keeps blowing, soon after i start the car. any ideas as to what could cause this? would a bad alternator do it?

Try replacing it with the newer style fuse. Unless you have a short somewere of course. The new style fit right in. I dont have a pic but I'm sure someone else does.
    *1992 Sport "Beauty" and 1989 L "Beast"

Comment

i do have the newer ones in there - cartridge type. should i bump the center to 35A (after checking for shorts)?

Comment

Is it burning up when you turn the key on or while youre cranking?

Comment

it blows soon after starting. so i crank, it starts and runs, then it blows. maybe 30 seconds of runtime before she blows.

Comment

I had this happen on my 88FX, it was the ignition switch going bad. and I had noticed that the key was turning wierd a few days before the fuses started blowing,,,may or may not be your problem, just throwing my 2cents in.
            previous cars to fix up;
            86 300ZX
            85 RX7 GSL
            88 Corolla FX
            89 Festiva LX 2bbl 5 speed

Comment

If the ignition switch is suspect try squirting a few drop of oil in the keyhole.
              Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Where can I get the new style of fuses??

Comment

Don't put a bigger fuse in. You may start a fire, you have a direct short and it needs to be found. The 30A fuse in in there for a purpose.

Comment

^^^ thats what I'm thinking I would bet it's your ignition switch.

Comment

i had the same problem a few months ago. I did some research on ford websites and found out that if your battery is weak it will cause that main fuse to blow. My battery was a couple years old so I changed it and it hasn't blown since. Sounds funny but it worked. (sorry i dont remember exactly what website) also there is a wiring harness that runs under the carpet in the backseat then up under the seat. check that, i had a wire with the insulation worn off from stepping on it.

Comment

One time i was changing out the alternator in mine,and neglected to discnnect the battery and arch the atl power wire on the back of the firewall and the main fuseable blew. Maybe your wire is frayed somewhere causing it to blow at atart up only.
                        ---------------------------------------------------
                        The Jester - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter
                        ---------------------------------------------------
                        BUILD'EM CHEAP, RUN'EM HARD, REPAIR'EM DAILY!

Comment

Yeah, with mine and my bro's, if you drain the battery by leaving the lights on, etc. this will keep happening 'til you charge up the battery. Try getting a good charge on the battery with a battery charger, or you may be ready for a new battery. I needed to do that a couple years back.

Comment

Working...
                          X