No announcement yet.

Water Pump Failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

any McAutoparts shoudl have it either for a 323, Festiva OR Aspire, the belt is all the same.
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Do I need/should I replace the tensioner assembly?
      Buck.
      -1993 Ford Festiva GL, ~200k, B6, Aspire rear, Rio front, 5-speed. '87 Prelude alloys. Happy to be back on the route!!!
      -1999 Toyota Sienna XLE, 346,000
      -1996 Chevrolet K1500 Z71, 350 V8, 198k, hauler

Comment

not usually, but inspect it for plat and spin it and listen to the bearings.

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),

Comment

I'm thinking I'm about to tear into it.

It's the top one right? Coolant looks like it's coming from the bottom pulley
          Buck.
          -1993 Ford Festiva GL, ~200k, B6, Aspire rear, Rio front, 5-speed. '87 Prelude alloys. Happy to be back on the route!!!

Comment

top pulley is the water pump, yes. if you have questions, just give a hollar, i'll be online for another hour or so.

Comment

What would be leaking copious amounts of oil behind the timing cover?

BTW, the timing cover is TRASHED and one of the bolts broke off as I was removing it.
              Buck.

Comment

Originally posted by 200KGPGTP View Post
                What would be leaking copious amounts of oil behind the timing cover?
                Cam seal, crankshaft seal or oil pump gasket.
                All 3 of mine were leaking, what a mess.
                Hotrod Forums Directory * D&D Discbrakes 61-67 Econoline Conversions
                1988 Festy - white 5spd 1.3 * 1992 Festy - red 5spd 1.3 * 1963 Econoline 5 window pu * 1993 Dodge W250 5.9 Cummings * 94 Mustang

Comment

Ok......... The timing belt isn't fitting properly on the bottom sprocket..... What gives?
                  Buck.

Comment

Originally posted by 200KGPGTP View Post
                    Ok......... The timing belt isn't fitting properly on the bottom sprocket..... What gives?
                    Pics might help?

Is the tensioner in the right position?
                    '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                    '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                    '92 Aqua parts Car
                    '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                    '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                    Your holy ghost will not save you.
                    Your God plutonium will not save you.
                    In fact...
                    ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

The belt isn't syncing with the teeth on the bottom sprocket for some reason, Not sure a pic would even help
                      Buck.

Comment

Ugh I'm so sick of not having enough time to finish such a simple job. Now I have to work and it gets put off yet ANOTHER night.....
                        Buck.

Comment

Maybe try putting the timing belt on the crank sprocket first, then try slipping it onto the camshaft sprocket.
                          '90 LX

Comment

Originally posted by wybnrml View Post
                            Maybe try putting the timing belt on the crank sprocket first, then try slipping it onto the camshaft sprocket.
                            That's the best way to do it. Also clean up all that oil with engine degreaser. Once dry from hosing it, test run it and track that leak.

Comment

Hey guy, I just finished doing mine, twice. The tensioner pulley should be all the way to the left or toward the firewall and bolt tight to hold it in place while you put new belt on. When I put it together the first time I made the tensioner pulley too tight. For that, just unloosen the tension pulley bolt, and let spring put tension on the belt and then tighten bolt. Like the other guys said, put belt on the bottom pulley first and then do the top. Did you take the splash guard off behind the front wheel so you can look up by the bottom sprocket to see if something is lodged under the sprocket, like dirt, old piece of gasket. Wish I was closer I could help more. Let us know what you find. Make sure the marks are where they are suppose to be. Even off one tooth can make a big difference in it running right. Let us know what you find.
                              Last edited by milehighbear; 03-13-2011, 06:55 PM.
                              Thom-Lifes too short, don't blink
                              93 Festiva (Little Red Truck)
                              01 F-150 (Big Red Truck)

Comment

I'll re-do it tomorrow. See what's up. Tensioner MAY be too tight..... We'll see. I did start with the crank before slipping it on the cam though
                                Buck.

Comment

Working...
                                X