Looking to buy a festiva need advise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking to buy a festiva need advise

I have wanted one for about 5 years now. I need a good daily driver high mpg car and i think this would do it, right now i have a jeep on 35s and it gets 10 mpg.

I have been looking through the forums for about 4 hours now trying to get info on everything but havent found much.

Im looking for the best years to get one, motor, trans, etc.

Im thinking of doing auto depending on if its a decent one, so gf can at least drive it.

Upgrades, I will probably do a few small ones mostly to increase power. What is out there as far as intake, exhaust, or other small hp tricks.

Thanks guys im searching craigslist throughout the state and looking at a couple btw 350-1500, depending on how much work i want to put into it. Im in Houston, TX so if you know of one nearby (500 miles away or closer) post it also.

*Edit and i drove one today and the shifter(manual) was horrible, barely found a gear, and it was everwhere...is this normal? Also is there easy motor swaps like direct bolt up? The link in the motor swap section is dead.
    Last edited by Nickb1907; 08-21-2009, 05:14 PM.

Use the search function (upper right) to answer your questions. They have been covered.. I remember reading them recently.

Make sure you put your location in your profile too! It'll help if someone's near you.
    -Caleb
    Originally posted by cracked.com on the M203 w/ M433 HEDP
    So, for about the same price as a fully-loaded 1993 Ford Festiva, you could also wield the power to obliterate a small village in the blink of an eye.

Comment

Id recommend a 90 or newer five speed. Sounds like the one you drove needs shifter bushings. Just teach the GF how to drive a manual.
      sigpic
      The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
      https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
      Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

Originally posted by freshtiva View Post
        Id recommend a 90 or newer five speed. Sounds like the one you drove needs shifter bushings. Just teach the GF how to drive a manual.
        the jeeps manual and she wont touch it, and im thinking since its a dd car a auto would be nicer to drive.

BTW im searching and getting nothing, please someone fill in my blanks.

Comment

Definitely recommend getting a Festiva with 5 speed trans & the fuel injected engine ('90 - '93). Mine is an '88 (carburetor engine) but I got lucky in that it runs nearly flawlessly. Still, EFI is the way to go IMHO.

Focustiva: Because I was told it was was impossible to fit a Focus bumper on a Festiva.
          In memory of Dean Allen - V8 Festiva 1955-2010

Comment

Autos feel alot slower and don't get quite the mpgs of a manual. She might not feel bad driving the festy, because you won't have as much in it. As far as swaps there are a few that are pretty easy (drill a hole, and some minor exhaust work) Just look around. Lots of stuff(info) on this site. From pictures to write ups to videos. And Welcome to ffcom!!
            -Greg
            Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
            BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
            Redneck Engineer
            FOTY - '09
            5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

I think youd regret the auto. They are pretty low geared for the hwy. Gas mileage isnt as good either.
              sigpic
              The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
              https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
              Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

I do like the radiator in the auto trans cars. Auto trans is HEAVY! But I can pick up my 4 speed manual trans w/1 hand easily.

Focustiva: Because I was told it was was impossible to fit a Focus bumper on a Festiva.
                In memory of Dean Allen - V8 Festiva 1955-2010

Comment

Here's the differences between the cars:

88-90 http://67.15.110.164/options1.html

91-93 http://67.15.110.164/options2.html

Originally posted by Nickb1907 View Post
                  BTW im searching and getting nothing, please someone fill in my blanks.
                  It's kind of weird to figure out, but once you get the hang of it, it works great.
                  Last edited by pr0nst4r; 08-21-2009, 07:26 PM.
                  -Caleb
                  So, for about the same price as a fully-loaded 1993 Ford Festiva, you could also wield the power to obliterate a small village in the blink of an eye.

Comment

Originally posted by pr0nst4r View Post
                    Here's the differences between the cars:

88-90 http://67.15.110.164/options1.html

91-93 http://67.15.110.164/options2.html

It's kind of weird to figure out, but once you get the hang of it, it works great.
                    now that needs to be a sticky somewhere, thanks guys. So the auto gets how many mpg? I know the 5 sp should see 40-50 right? Just really worried about the loose shifter, has i drive with a short throw hurst now and love it.

btw what do these cars top out at?
                    Last edited by Nickb1907; 08-21-2009, 07:37 PM.

Comment

btw what do these cars top out at?
                      Nearly Mach 1, with some coaxing!
                      '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                      '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                      '92 Aqua parts Car
                      '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                      '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                      Your holy ghost will not save you.
                      Your God plutonium will not save you.
                      In fact...
                      ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

General consensus on MPGs for the autos is somewhere in the low to mid 30s, I think.
                        Mine is a carbed 4 speed, and I'm still getting around 43 mpg.

As far as top out at, you mean HP, MPH? Not sure what you mean.
                        Think the carbed ones hit about 56 hp, FI ones are a bit more. But not much.

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
                        1989 L - 247K miles Slick
                        1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
                        Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

EFI = 63 HP
                          Good for Warp 1!
                          '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                          '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                          '92 Aqua parts Car
                          '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                          '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                          Your holy ghost will not save you.
                          Your God plutonium will not save you.
                          In fact...
                          ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Originally posted by freshtiva View Post
                            I think youd regret the auto. They are pretty low geared for the hwy. Gas mileage isnt as good either.
                            I second this. The carbed models aren't as bad as some people think, but the EFI's tend to be more popular.

Good luck, you can't find a better car!!!...

FX
                            Because....45 MPG.

Comment

now that needs to be a sticky somewhere, thanks guys.
                              It should be. I think the thread I found it in said something about it being on the old site still. I've been doing a lot of researching on all of the differences and am putting a bunch of it together.
                              -Caleb

Comment

Working...
                              X